Notices

How does RUF get away with building these?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 03:09 PM
Johnny Mayday
Rennlist Town Crier

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default How does RUF get away with building these?

I think the CTR is cool and all, I just wonder why Porsche hasn't sued them for copyright infringement or something? Can you imagine what Ferrari would do in a case like this?
Old 03-13-2017, 06:36 PM
Johnny Mayday
Rennlist Town Crier

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I mean Singer I get, because they essentially make restomods. But this is a completely new car that looks like a Porsche.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:42 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Mayday
How does RUF get away with building these?
All I can figure is that since RUF managed to produce their cars under the RUF name starting in 1981, they are merely "retooling" a RUF, not a Porsche.

Of course it gets muddy exactly how that original contract was created - RUF creating their own vehicle but using bodies supplied by Porsche.

Porsche has not gotten disgruntled with RUF since then as far as I know. This is car is even less a Porsche.

I can't imagine RUF did not think this through prior to debuting this. I imagine they made sure they are in the free and clear. Perhaps the production cap is partially for this reason.

I think Porsche would be more concerned with a vehicle such as the Zotye SR9.

Originally Posted by Johnny Mayday
Singer essentially make restomods.
Exactly. Singer does not produce vehicles under their own name. A "Singer" is still, for all intents and purposes, a Porsche. Call it a Singer if you wish, but it is merely a modified Porsche. No different than sending a car to Rinspeed, B+B, DP Tuning, etc. back in the day.

Quick Reply: How does RUF get away with building these?