Notices

In the market - 996

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 02:30 PM
tjcb65
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In the market - 996

First-time buyer, long-time drooler over the 996's.

The price is right for these models... I've done a ton of research and have a pretty good idea what to look for. Ideally, looking for one in the $20K range, in the 80-110 mile range, with strong maintenance history. Depending on IMS, RMS, Clutch... that price will adjust, as I plan on getting those done, if not already completed.

I've found one that looks like everything I've targeted, but... it has really low miles. Only 42k on the clock and the current owner has only put 10k (!!!) on it in the last 13 years. Meaning an average of 10k/year for the first three and then less than 1k/year for the next 10.

I've heard/read many different times that you want these cars to be driven, so don't be scared of the higher mileage examples with maintenance history. So... does that mean a car that has only been driven less than 1,000 miles a year could be more of an issue than a good thing? I mean... it will certainly help re-sale if/when I decide to sell in 5 years down the road... but, am I getting my self into a potential money pit?

Thanks in advance for the help!

-TJ
Old 02-26-2017, 03:12 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

I'd suggest a good PPI to determine its real condition. However, 1,000 miles/yr. is more than enough to avoid any issues associated with a car that is not driven for very long periods of time, such as dried-out seals, etc. Still budget a few thousand $ for incidentals and unexpected items.....such as old tires.

Get the PPI and enjoy your 996. They are fun cars and perhaps the best Porsche bang-for-the-buck going.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:40 AM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Hey welcome! Check out the 996 sub-forum as there are a lot of very knowledgable people there that don't always check out the general discussions.

Regarding your question - I purchased a higher mileage C4S (94k at time of purchase) and have no regrets. One important rule to remember is that there is nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche. Any neglect will manifest itself in exponential costs down the road. A car that sits a lot could be fine, but as David mentioned things such as tires could add up quickly. I recently ran into a problem that I suspect were due to infrequent driving while replacing my front brake pads. The longer wear parts sit in the car without being replaced, the harder it seems to be to get them out when the time comes. A pre-purchase inspection is a good idea if you can find somewhere that knows what they're doing. However even a general inspection up on a lift checking for leaks, condition of brakes/suspension/CV boots, etc could be helpful in avoiding spending a few grand on repairs and upkeep immediately after your purchase.

Cheers
Charlie

Quick Reply: In the market - 996