Registering a car

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 03:25 AM
doridori
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Registering a car

I am looking to buy a used Porsche.

I have a California driver license. On my California driver license, it shows my California address. But recently, I just got an Oregon address.

When I purchase a car, can I use my Oregon address to register the car?
Old 12-19-2016, 06:55 AM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where do you live? In most states you have to register your car where you are prinarily residing. Will you ever get "busted" for it? Probably not, as long as you can prove you are a resodent of whichever state tue car is registered.

The bigger problem is insurance. Your carrier may refuse to cover you (and you may be comitting fraud) by driving primarily in a different state than where you actually claim you live.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:05 PM
doridori
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caymannyc
Where do you live? In most states you have to register your car where you are prinarily residing. Will you ever get "busted" for it? Probably not, as long as you can prove you are a resodent of whichever state tue car is registered.

The bigger problem is insurance. Your carrier may refuse to cover you (and you may be comitting fraud) by driving primarily in a different state than where you actually claim you live.
I live in California.

I heard that there are recent laws to make it difficult for registering the car in Oregon. Not sure if it is rumor or not....
Old 12-22-2016, 12:21 PM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by doridori
I live in California.

I heard that there are recent laws to make it difficult for registering the car in Oregon. Not sure if it is rumor or not....
If you have an address in Oregon and prove residency (utility bill?), I really don't see how difficult it can be to register your car there. I mean I get why you would prefer Oregon over California, but the bigger problem is going to be your insurance. You can't register a car in a state without insurance in that state. So your car will be insured (and paid) under an Oregon-specific policy. If you get in an accident in California, obviously the insurance company will question why you were in California. Now you can call your insurance company and get them to cover an additional state, but you will likely have to pay more.

Quick Reply: Registering a car