Notices

Help me Decide trade 987.2 for Macan S?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 10:16 AM
AA987
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help me Decide trade 987.2 for Macan S?

Hi friends, I need some help deciding what to do. My wife is up for a new car, and we've been driving everything in the luxury compact segment. The most exciting option in the segment is obviously the Porsche Macan and my backup (safe) plan is a Q5. I have 3 cars currently, 14 Wrangler Rubicon, 14 Jeep Cherokee (the one i'm getting rid of), and an 09 987.2 Boxster S.

I was hoping to get away with payments in the 600 range on the new car for the wife if I keep 3 cars in the garage. But that isn't going to happen with a Macan, also if I get the Macan, I want the S. In order to get the Macan S comfortably, I probably need to temporarily reduce the garage to 2 cars. I have had the 987 for a few years now, and I'm ready for an upgrade at some point in the reasonably near future (maybe 6mo - 1yr) so that is on the horizon. At any rate, the question boils down to this:

What is a better garage:
14 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (satisfies my convertible needs)
16 Porsche Macan S (hopefully satisfies my spirited driving needs)
(possible 718 or Jag F Type within 1 year)

or

14 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
17 Audi Q5 2.0T
09 Porsche Boxster S (If I go this route, there is more cash leftover for this car, so maybe I get an upgrade to 911? or boxster Spyder)

So, is the new Macan S going to equal to or greater than the excitement of an 8 year old Boxster S? If so, I'll buy the Macan S, if not, I'm probably dropping down to the Q5.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:34 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by AA987
Hi friends, I need some help deciding what to do. My wife is up for a new car, and we've been driving everything in the luxury compact segment. The most exciting option in the segment is obviously the Porsche Macan and my backup (safe) plan is a Q5. I have 3 cars currently, 14 Wrangler Rubicon, 14 Jeep Cherokee (the one i'm getting rid of), and an 09 987.2 Boxster S.

I was hoping to get away with payments in the 600 range on the new car for the wife if I keep 3 cars in the garage. But that isn't going to happen with a Macan, also if I get the Macan, I want the S. In order to get the Macan S comfortably, I probably need to temporarily reduce the garage to 2 cars. I have had the 987 for a few years now, and I'm ready for an upgrade at some point in the reasonably near future (maybe 6mo - 1yr) so that is on the horizon. At any rate, the question boils down to this:
What is a better garage:
14 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (satisfies my convertible needs)
16 Porsche Macan S (hopefully satisfies my spirited driving needs)
(possible 718 or Jag F Type within 1 year)
or
14 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
17 Audi Q5 2.0T
09 Porsche Boxster S (If I go this route, there is more cash leftover for this car, so maybe I get an upgrade to 911? or boxster Spyder)
So, is the new Macan S going to equal to or greater than the excitement of an 8 year old Boxster S? If so, I'll buy the Macan S, if not, I'm probably dropping down to the Q5.
Well I traded my 2014 Cayman S for a leftover new 2015 Macan Turbo, I practically stole it. The Macan was an awesome SUV. Loved the, moonroof, grunt and the handling, for an SUV. but it wasn't very long b4 I longed for a sportscar again. I loved the CS but also wanted a sunroof. So finally I found a loaded CPO 2015 911 C2S at a really great price did a great trade deal. Now, i love my C2S., but there are days when I miss the Macan.
When/if I can get my wife to give up her RX350, id like to add a nice low mileage CPO Macan to my C2S in the garage. That would be just about my perfect combo.
Thats all I can tell u.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:08 AM
AA987
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
Well I traded my 2014 Cayman S for a leftover new 2015 Macan Turbo, I practically stole it. The Macan was an awesome SUV. Loved the, moonroof, grunt and the handling, for an SUV. but it wasn't very long b4 I longed for a sportscar again. I loved the CS but also wanted a sunroof. So finally I found a loaded CPO 2015 911 C2S at a really great price did a great trade deal. Now, i love my C2S., but there are days when I miss the Macan.
When/if I can get my wife to give up her RX350, id like to add a nice low mileage CPO Macan to my C2S in the garage. That would be just about my perfect combo.
Thats all I can tell u.
How long before you had to get the C2S? If this could satisfy me through the summer of 2017, then I think that would be enough. I can't imagine staying a 2 car garage more than about a year. That empty garage spot will be heart wrenching though.... hence my dilemma
Old 12-16-2016, 06:16 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

How about a Merc GLA AMG instead of macan? 370hp and 700 lbs lighter and every bit as practical.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:55 AM
AA987
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
How about a Merc GLA AMG instead of macan? 370hp and 700 lbs lighter and every bit as practical.
Funny you say that because I actually just pulled the trigger on the gla 250 4matic instead of the Q5/Macan. I had all but written off that we wouldn't like the gla, but when the wife drove it, she loved it. And they had some killer lease deals going on. Walked away with money in my pocket, and lower payments than the Cherokee. Thebaby merc is no speed demon and the headroom is a little low (I'm 6'2") but it gets the job done for her DD and the occasionally road trip to family. With enough oomph t satisfy most drives.

the best part is that it leaves loads of room in the budget for an upgrade of the Boxster in the spring. Honestly it could not have worked out better.

Ps.. I was an idiot to think that the Macan S could replace the Boxster. The Macan is amazing, but I thought the S was going to be a million times better, it was maybe 1.2x better than the base Macan. Very good for an SUV, but nothing like the feel of even a 8 year old boxster s.

Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: Help me Decide trade 987.2 for Macan S?