Looking at getting a Porsche - Evaluation/Repair possilbity

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 06:16 AM
Pseudoscope
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at getting a Porsche - Evaluation/Repair possilbity

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at getting my first porsche at the tender age of 23. Here's the girl http://www.manheim.com.au/damaged-ve...=SearchResults

Note the impact on the LHS, apparently the motor runs but the car won't drive in forward or reverse. I assume this will be due to the impact and is hopefully only suspension items that are damaged

How much is she worth in this state, how much are old porsche transmission parts worth?

I realise I should do some more research but I really have no clue about Porsche maintenance and am short on time (auctions on tuesday). I am mechanically minded and would really like to have a car I know the insides of so labor is not issue.

I'll be going to inspect the car on Monday, what should I keep an eye out for? Anyone know what she is, what options she has?

Cheers,
Pseudoscope
Old 09-23-2016, 10:06 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

I would call my local Porsche dealership and ask them who does their bodywork. Then I would contact them and ask if their estimator could go with you.

My experience with repairs is that there is often a lot more involved than what is on the surface. With a Porsche, the parts alone could be big money.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:18 AM
Pseudoscope
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your input Nagy,

Thus far I know that the car runs with no noticeable engine noises. However it does not move. Which I suspect is to do with the impact damaging the suspension/transmission.

I understand that she won't be cheap to fix and hope to god the transmission issues are simply the trans axles.

As far as repairs go, any chassis or suspension issues I'll be able to right myself.

Any idea what a transmission or transmission rebuild is worth?

Quick Reply: Looking at getting a Porsche - Evaluation/Repair possilbity