Notices

Brake pedal to floor, dlr sez "normal"

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 03:15 PM
BrassRatt
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pedal to floor, dlr sez "normal"

2014 Cayman base PDK, 24k miles, bought from a distant dealer who prepped it for Porsche Certified including brake flush, about three months ago.

The brake pedal sinks slowly to the floor under sustained (strong but not extreme) pressure, taking ~30 seconds. Brake feel and performance while driving are good. No fluid leaks out.

My local dealer's shop says this is normal behavior for this car.

Can that be right?

If so, could someone explain to me where the fluid is going when that happens? I mean the fluid that should be trapped between the master cylinder piston and the brake pistons. How is it getting out of that volume?

Thanks.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:47 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by BrassRatt
2014 Cayman base PDK, 24k miles, bought from a distant dealer who prepped it for Porsche Certified including brake flush, about three months ago. The brake pedal sinks slowly to the floor under sustained (strong but not extreme) pressure, taking ~30 seconds. Brake feel and performance while driving are good. No fluid leaks out. My local dealer's shop says this is normal behavior for this car. Can that be right? If so, could someone explain to me where the fluid is going when that happens? I mean the fluid that should be trapped between the master cylinder piston and the brake pistons. How is it getting out of that volume? Thanks.
I dont know about '14's but my o6 987 had the same brake pedal, slowly sinking to the floor. It was ok enough on he street but awful on the track. Its a well known weirdness but easily remedied. You replace the master cylinder with a gt3 mc and the pedal gets rock hard.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:58 PM
BrassRatt
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can Cayman owners say if this is also "normal" for a 2014 Cayman?

And, if it is that well known, would someone explain where the brake fluid is escaping to? Are the master cylinders made so poorly that brake fluid simply leaks past the master pistons? Or is there a leakage path in the auxiliary brake features (ABS, ...)?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Brake pedal to floor, dlr sez "normal"