Notices

Unless You're Passing, Stop Getting Comfortable in the Left Lane

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 05:20 PM
Rennlist Editor
Editor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Unless You're Passing, Stop Getting Comfortable in the Left Lane

The concept of how highways ought to work is pretty basic. The slower you are going, the more right you should be, and if the people in front of you are driving slowly, pass them in the left-most lane. That's it.

Read the rest on the Rennlist homepage. >>
Old 09-01-2016, 04:34 AM
gibson8687
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Living/driving in Italy

As a Californian who lives and drives in Italy (and Europe) I have come to expect drivers to move over out of the left lane after they have passed a vehicle. But going back to CA and seeing how many unconscious drivers there are, driving with their cheesburgers/cell phones/mascara applications and driving in the left lane. This is something the Italians would never do. They love driving their cars and actually pay attention. But for them to get a license it is not only time consuming, it is expensive (Germany also).
Old 09-01-2016, 09:41 AM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 126 Posts

Some believe it's their God-given right to stay in the left lane.

Many drivers take offense to anyone flashing for them to move over. I've been brake checked, blocked and given a certain hand gesture.

This isn't personal. Just move over and let everyone else go about their business.

Thank you.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:48 AM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Half the population has an IQ below 100. I think it would take a monumental effort and 20-30 years to see any significant improvement in this regard in the US.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:05 AM
MJK-PurpleRS
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem is, in the USA new drivers have 0 education on how to drive. If i was a car insurance company i would make it mandatory to attend driving classes Twice a year!!! Imagine the money they would save. When i visited Europe it was a joy to drive on the highways, everyone knew the rules of the road!! I remember being in the far left lane, the car behind me was getting closer, i noticed he turned on his left turn signal to tell me he wanted to pass!! You will never see this in the USA because we were not taught the correct way to drive. The USA is so *** backwards with so many things!!!
Old 09-01-2016, 04:49 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 103 Posts

Its a great video. Link if you can't find your way to the homepage....

http://www.vox.com/2016/8/26/1264882...owly-left-lane
Old 09-02-2016, 11:18 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Drivers who hog or block the left lane are typically selfish and inconsiderate. At least when they do this. They see the open road and think at least subconsciously they are safer because they can't rear-end any car ahead while they practice distracted driving. They don't realize or care the effect they have on traffic behind them because it's not "their" problem. The "cost" in terms of slower traffic and delays is not felt directly, so they continue to do it. The only way to correct this behavior for the benefit of other drivers is to make the left lane hogs pay for this in the form of traffic tickets for left lane obstruction. While some officers in some jurisdictions enforce this fairly and regularly, I'm guessing the vast majority do not, whether due to department policies (harder to get convictions if the motorist challenges it, as compared to a radar ticket), other, more important priorities, or just plain apathy.

Quick Reply: Unless You're Passing, Stop Getting Comfortable in the Left Lane