A/C Evaporator Core Replacement - Boxster S 987

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 09:27 AM
Ian Dolan
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Evaporator Core Replacement - Boxster S 987

Hello,

Firstly thanks for having such a great forum, I've saved money from your advice and hope I can do the same today.

I have an issue with my 2008 Boxster S Air Conditioning unit. I've been told there is a small leak in the Evaporator, the consequence is once the gas is filled up, it stays cool for a couple of weeks and then starts losing the cool air, meaning a replacement of gas again.

I live in Dubai and need to get this sorted, but also its an older car and I do not want to pay the $1,300 cost Porsche charge to replace the entire AC assembly (I'm told this is the only solution from Porsche).

Three questions I would love some help on:

- Is there likely to be any other malfunction? (Evap leakage makes sense but i haven't had a second opinion)
- Is it technically feasible just to replace the damaged Evaporator Core on my Porsche Boxster S 987, 2008 ?
- I've heard that this part fits the bill, also used on VW/Audi A/C Evaporator Core-Plate Fin Omega Environmental 27-33245 and wondered if anyone had bought one similar?

Does anyone have experience of this issue who could kindly advise me, I really don't want to buy the entire assembly, its a massive cost for a small leak,

Thanks again,

ian
Old 08-22-2016, 10:04 AM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

The material cost of just replacing the evap in the box vs. a complete box assembly with evap is much less. Labor wise is just a bit more time to open up the old box, R&R the core, put it back together and drop it back in the car.

There is a difference between LHD and RHD evap's.

Although the Audi version of the evap core can fit in the evap box it's location
of where the inlet and outlet tubes are attached to the evap core is not ideal,
you can end up wrestling with it.

You'd also want to replace your drier.

EVAPS
Old 08-22-2016, 10:12 AM
Ian Dolan
4th Gear

Hi Griffiths,

Thanks a lot for the feedback, very useful.

If I understood correctly, it's a feasible repair to use the Audi box (all be it with a bit of wrestling), the cost for the assembly is tenfold more expensive, so i'd really want to take that route if so.

Thanks for the LHD and RHD confirmation, this was a concern I had when sourcing the part.

An alternative is to buy a used aftermarket part, because as I understand it the Evap core is durable and an unlikely part to ever fail?

Thanks again,

ian
Old 08-22-2016, 10:30 AM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

I would suggest a 'new' evap core to go inside your box, drier and new TEV along with orings....

Something like THIS
Old 08-22-2016, 11:20 AM
Ian Dolan
4th Gear

Thanks,

The car is a 987, I looked at Griffiths Evap Core's a couple of weeks ago and they appear to be only for 986 and 996 models, is it compatible with the 987? If so i'd be happy to buy them,

ian
Old 08-22-2016, 11:34 AM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

LHD or RHD
Old 08-22-2016, 12:35 PM
Ian Dolan
4th Gear

Hello,

It is a Left Hand drive, 2008 Boxster S, the model is a 987, Gulf (GCC) Spec's
Exterior Red, Interior Black, would require postage to the UAE (Dubai)

Best regards,

ian

Quick Reply: A/C Evaporator Core Replacement - Boxster S 987