Notices

Cop wrote wrong date on ticket he gave me for no muffler

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 12:54 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cop wrote wrong date on ticket he gave me for no muffler

I've been driving a 951 for a year with a muffler delete pipe, no issues. The guy was a real dick too, started patronizing me in front of my old lady.

I was getting ready to pay the ticket he gave me on a Saturday morning when I noticed he'd written Friday's date on it. Friday morning I was at work as I can prove via my timesheet.

However he did make me sign on the form (the one where you don't admit fault but just acknowledge that you got the ticket).

I looked it up and in Va it's not legal to drive without a muffler (even though it is in DC where I'm registered).

Any hope of getting out of this?
Old 07-14-2016, 01:49 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

If your car conforms to equipment laws where it's registered (DC), the ticket for no muffler is no good in VA. Otherwise, everyone driving from sun-shiny states that allow dark tints through northern states that don't allow window tints would get tickets.

Not a lawyer, but I doubt the bad date will get you off the ticket

I would contest the ticket, with both arguments. There's a chance the cop won't show up, and there's a chance the judge might get a chuckle out of it and dismiss the ticket if you don't have a long and bad driving record
Old 07-15-2016, 01:48 PM
CFM928
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What instrument did he use to determine it was too noisy?

I'd argue that since it passed inspection at your state's shop (as above poster said) all is OK. Very subjective if he didn't use a dB meter to actually measure the sound. (I wouldn't drive that car to court...)
Old 07-24-2016, 11:26 AM
Sgt Beavis
Intermediate

Originally Posted by alordofchaos
If your car conforms to equipment laws where it's registered (DC), the ticket for no muffler is no good in VA. Otherwise, everyone driving from sun-shiny states that allow dark tints through northern states that don't allow window tints would get tickets.
I agree with this. The question becomes, does DC let you drive without a muffler. My bet is that they don't. I believe DC has their emissions laws linked with California's. Many states do that as well.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:40 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by alordofchaos
I talked to a traffic attorney who told me that legally you're supposed to know and abide by the rules of the state you're driving in regardless of where you're registered.
However a judge can elect to dismiss the case based on the argument that your home state allows it.
Again, this is at the judge's discretion, I don't have a valid legal argument.

Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis
I agree with this. The question becomes, does DC let you drive without a muffler. My bet is that they don't.
They do.
I drove that car into the inspection station and out with a newly passed sticker slapped on the winshield.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:27 AM
Sgt Beavis
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mister Quickie

They do.
I drove that car into the inspection station and out with a newly passed sticker slapped on the winshield.
Seriously? I'm kinda surprised by that. I'd consider fighting it. You may want to find the emission reg for DC that covers that specific issue so you can show it to the judge if you choose to fight it.

Besides the cop might not show in court. It happens.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:58 PM
Kaduku
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You will lose on both arguments unless the cop don't show up. Even if he wrote the wrong date, no biggie, he would simply turn in a notice of correction to the court.

Quick Reply: Cop wrote wrong date on ticket he gave me for no muffler