Notices

Weekend driver or daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 10:52 AM
Rock0324
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weekend driver or daily driver

Just a question. Is your Porsche a daily driver or weekend fun car? I don't think I will be driving my car to work every day but want to get out with it more then just weekends. Nothing better then dropping the top and riding along the ocean here on Long Island.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:58 AM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

silly question, no offense. i never understood why people only drive on weekends or special occasions, if its sunny or dry i rotate thru all my cars. only time that i drive my macan turbo only is if its raining or snowing outside.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:24 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Weekends and special occasions for me, despite someone insulting this right out of the gate. Sort of like insulting someone with a second home who can only use it on weekends and vacations.

Why some people with a commute from hell would do it in their Porsche, when they have a car better suited to commuting, is beyond me.

There are people with commutes that are destructive and unpleasant, and destroying one's Porsche isn't the best way to go about it. When the weekend comes, it's therapy.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:39 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

My commute is 0.4 miles, so I walk, have wife drop off my sorry butt on her way to work if it's raining (unlike Porsches, I could melt in the rain), or on some glorious days I take the Porsche to work via an insanely contrived, but oh so fun, thirty mile loop I've developed to cover the 0.4 miles.

Chores you avoided in the past, you will now relish. Wife wanted a few items at Lowes. Do I go to the one next door? Yeah, if I owned a normal car. But, I own an iconic sports car, one that I hunted for over a year, so I drive to the one 30 miles away! And, I have such a good time doing it, have to text the missus upon my arrival, what exactly she wanted,'cause I forgot. Sorry, but it's a fact, excessive use of the Sports Plus button makes your memory worse.

Trust me, if this is your first Porsche, you will find excuses to drive it. Even if it's not your first Porsche, you'll still find excuses to drive it. We are blessed to own great cars. Get out there and drive the ever living s**t out of them, then clean. Repeat...T
Old 06-22-2016, 04:50 PM
MJK-PurpleRS
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weekend only, to many trucks dropping rocks,too much traffic,too many idiots texting,school zones,cops,and too many things to do where an RS in the parking lot of Home Depot may not be a good thing. My dream is to retire someday away from everyone, with my home atop a large mountain with insane roads that would make owning a 911 that much more fun. But for now iam stuck in a concrete jungle full of idiots. So weekend driver for me!! But i feel fortunate to have that. Love my Porsche"s
Old 06-23-2016, 04:49 AM
Rico
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

weekends and club events / shows only.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:26 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Daily driver for my 991 GT3.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:29 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Weekday car lol, SUV and minivan for the weekends, I got 3 kids to haul around. I drive my 911 2-3x a week. I drive my Boxster S 2-3x a week to work. When it snows, I drive the SUV.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:22 AM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is only a 2 seater. My daily commute consists of dropping my two kids off at school. They are still sitting on front facing car seats.

So I can only use my Porsche like most motorcyclists.... weekend and 1 passenger if any.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:14 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
My commute is 0.4 miles, so I walk, have wife drop off my sorry butt on her way to work if it's raining (unlike Porsches, I could melt in the rain), or on some glorious days I take the Porsche to work via an insanely contrived, but oh so fun, thirty mile loop I've developed to cover the 0.4 miles.

Chores you avoided in the past, you will now relish. Wife wanted a few items at Lowes. Do I go to the one next door? Yeah, if I owned a normal car. But, I own an iconic sports car, one that I hunted for over a year, so I drive to the one 30 miles away! And, I have such a good time doing it, have to text the missus upon my arrival, what exactly she wanted,'cause I forgot. Sorry, but it's a fact, excessive use of the Sports Plus button makes your memory worse.

Trust me, if this is your first Porsche, you will find excuses to drive it. Even if it's not your first Porsche, you'll still find excuses to drive it. We are blessed to own great cars. Get out there and drive the ever living s**t out of them, then clean. Repeat...T
I trust you.

My commute, on foot, is about 6 feet (bedroom to office). I'm awaiting my first (991.2 GTS) and I'm certain I will, as you say, make any excuse to go out and drive.

Your post resonated with me because I already find excuses to go out driving - or sometimes skip the excuse and just go out driving for the sheer joy of it. And my current car, while great fun, is not remotely comparable to a Porsche.

So I'm guessing that, when the GTS arrives, I'll wait until rush hour traffic dies down, and then take an early "lunch" and go out driving for an hour or two. Or I'll make lunch dates in towns 20 miles away.

I can't wait.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:12 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Basically just weekends for me when I go out with my wife and since I don't work I don't commute, and during the week I take the motorcycle if I go somewhere, which is actually more enjoyable than the P-car.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:09 AM
poverty spec
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

San Francisco traffic is notoriously not so nice so it's public transport to work and then car for weekend fun.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:08 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 515 Posts

Daily on the TTS......sunny weekends for the 993......tried daily in GT3 and it was a no go....too raw............

Last edited by abiazis; 12-17-2018 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:26 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

For 25 years of almost 30 working in the corporate world I drove to work, and for 23 of 25 my DD was a Porsche sportscar of some kind. Yeah, some days and periods provided more traffic grief than Porsche pleasure, but compared to weekends only I got in about 10,000 extra drives in cars I loved.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:08 AM
gabbar
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

2018 Carrera T - Daily driver... ~ 4.5K miles in 4 months so far

Quick Reply: Weekend driver or daily driver