Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   General Porsche Discussions Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/general-porsche-discussions-forum-73/)
-   -   Weekend driver or daily driver (https://rennlist.com/forums/general-porsche-discussions-forum/940164-weekend-driver-or-daily-driver.html)

Rock0324 06-19-2016 10:52 AM

Weekend driver or daily driver

Just a question. Is your Porsche a daily driver or weekend fun car? I don't think I will be driving my car to work every day but want to get out with it more then just weekends. Nothing better then dropping the top and riding along the ocean here on Long Island.

ChristianR 06-19-2016 10:58 AM

silly question, no offense. i never understood why people only drive on weekends or special occasions, if its sunny or dry i rotate thru all my cars. only time that i drive my macan turbo only is if its raining or snowing outside.

Philster 06-21-2016 03:24 PM

Weekends and special occasions for me, despite someone insulting this right out of the gate. Sort of like insulting someone with a second home who can only use it on weekends and vacations.

Why some people with a commute from hell would do it in their Porsche, when they have a car better suited to commuting, is beyond me.

There are people with commutes that are destructive and unpleasant, and destroying one's Porsche isn't the best way to go about it. When the weekend comes, it's therapy.

tomc_mets 06-21-2016 03:39 PM

My commute is 0.4 miles, so I walk, have wife drop off my sorry butt on her way to work if it's raining (unlike Porsches, I could melt in the rain), or on some glorious days I take the Porsche to work via an insanely contrived, but oh so fun, thirty mile loop I've developed to cover the 0.4 miles. :evilgrin:

Chores you avoided in the past, you will now relish. Wife wanted a few items at Lowes. Do I go to the one next door? Yeah, if I owned a normal car. But, I own an iconic sports car, one that I hunted for over a year, so I drive to the one 30 miles away! And, I have such a good time doing it, have to text the missus upon my arrival, what exactly she wanted,'cause I forgot. Sorry, but it's a fact, excessive use of the Sports Plus button makes your memory worse. :)

Trust me, if this is your first Porsche, you will find excuses to drive it. Even if it's not your first Porsche, you'll still find excuses to drive it. We are blessed to own great cars. Get out there and drive the ever living s**t out of them, then clean. Repeat...T

MJK-PurpleRS 06-22-2016 04:50 PM

Weekend only, to many trucks dropping rocks,too much traffic,too many idiots texting,school zones,cops,and too many things to do where an RS in the parking lot of Home Depot may not be a good thing. My dream is to retire someday away from everyone, with my home atop a large mountain with insane roads that would make owning a 911 that much more fun. But for now iam stuck in a concrete jungle full of idiots. So weekend driver for me!! But i feel fortunate to have that. Love my Porsche"s

Rico 06-23-2016 04:49 AM

weekends and club events / shows only.

surfer 06-28-2016 04:26 PM

Daily driver for my 991 GT3.

Ynot 06-28-2016 04:29 PM

Weekday car lol, SUV and minivan for the weekends, I got 3 kids to haul around. I drive my 911 2-3x a week. I drive my Boxster S 2-3x a week to work. When it snows, I drive the SUV.

ClintonM3 06-30-2016 11:22 AM

Mine is only a 2 seater. My daily commute consists of dropping my two kids off at school. They are still sitting on front facing car seats.

So I can only use my Porsche like most motorcyclists.... weekend and 1 passenger if any.

V999 12-09-2018 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by tomc_mets (Post 13393461)
My commute is 0.4 miles, so I walk, have wife drop off my sorry butt on her way to work if it's raining (unlike Porsches, I could melt in the rain), or on some glorious days I take the Porsche to work via an insanely contrived, but oh so fun, thirty mile loop I've developed to cover the 0.4 miles. :evilgrin:

Chores you avoided in the past, you will now relish. Wife wanted a few items at Lowes. Do I go to the one next door? Yeah, if I owned a normal car. But, I own an iconic sports car, one that I hunted for over a year, so I drive to the one 30 miles away! And, I have such a good time doing it, have to text the missus upon my arrival, what exactly she wanted,'cause I forgot. Sorry, but it's a fact, excessive use of the Sports Plus button makes your memory worse. :)

Trust me, if this is your first Porsche, you will find excuses to drive it. Even if it's not your first Porsche, you'll still find excuses to drive it. We are blessed to own great cars. Get out there and drive the ever living s**t out of them, then clean. Repeat...T

I trust you.

My commute, on foot, is about 6 feet (bedroom to office). I'm awaiting my first (991.2 GTS) and I'm certain I will, as you say, make any excuse to go out and drive.

Your post resonated with me because I already find excuses to go out driving - or sometimes skip the excuse and just go out driving for the sheer joy of it. And my current car, while great fun, is not remotely comparable to a Porsche.

So I'm guessing that, when the GTS arrives, I'll wait until rush hour traffic dies down, and then take an early "lunch" and go out driving for an hour or two. Or I'll make lunch dates in towns 20 miles away.

I can't wait.

Bob Z. 12-10-2018 12:12 AM

Basically just weekends for me when I go out with my wife and since I don't work I don't commute, and during the week I take the motorcycle if I go somewhere, which is actually more enjoyable than the P-car.

poverty spec 12-10-2018 01:09 AM

San Francisco traffic is notoriously not so nice so it's public transport to work and then car for weekend fun.

abiazis 12-10-2018 09:08 PM

Daily on the TTS......sunny weekends for the 993......tried daily in GT3 and it was a no go....too raw............

bkrantz 12-10-2018 10:26 PM

For 25 years of almost 30 working in the corporate world I drove to work, and for 23 of 25 my DD was a Porsche sportscar of some kind. Yeah, some days and periods provided more traffic grief than Porsche pleasure, but compared to weekends only I got in about 10,000 extra drives in cars I loved.

gabbar 12-14-2018 04:08 AM

2018 Carrera T - Daily driver... ~ 4.5K miles in 4 months so far