Notices

Are electric cars superior ? Is electric-only Porsches the likely future ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015 | 11:10 AM
911searcher
Pro

Default Are electric cars superior ? Is electric-only Porsches the likely future ?

I read this.

New all-turbo Porsche 911, electric Mission E concept storm Frankfurt motor show

http://autoweek.com/article/frankfur...urt-motor-show

The Mission E, Porsche says, is powered by an 800-volt drive system, good for 600 hp sent through all four wheels. Two “permanently excited” synchronous motors power the car and recover braking energy. The E also comes with all-wheel steering, would clock a 3.5-second 60 mph sprint, according to Porsche, and takes about 12 seconds to get up to 124 mph.

Porsche says the Mission E can travel 500 km (310 miles) on a single charge and can be filled 80 percent in just 15 minutes. Porsche says that doubling the voltage to 800 has the advantages of shortening charging times and lowering weight, due to the fact that it can use smaller-gauge cables for energy transport. It can also be charged at a 400-volt quick-charging station or replenished at home via induction. The battery runs the length of the vehicle from front to rear axles, distributing weight evenly and helping keep a low center of gravity.
Those are some impressive stats ! (I suppose they are probably exaggerated.)

I can't say all that power is super key to me .. where I drive there are speed limits.

I know the new Porsches don't even come with a manual transmission option (all PDK). For someone who has never driven an automatic car in 25+ years of driving ... that was a shock to me. How long until Porsche only makes electric cars ? 20 years ? 10 ?

I take it there are no Gundo hacks for electric cars.

Quick Reply: Are electric cars superior ? Is electric-only Porsches the likely future ?