Notices

Valet Parking Strategy

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 06:46 PM
Raoul in Colorado
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 446 Posts
Default Valet Parking Strategy

Does any have a strategy for parking their Porsche in a secure restaurant valet parking area themselves rather than have a valet parking attendant park it....I personally have a hang up about turning the keys to my Porsche to a teen-age punk that I wouldn't even trust with my lawn mower...., am I paronoid????......, what are your experiences (approaches) in dealing with this issue.....ie strategies for tipping/buying your way through the valet parking etiquette gauntlet....

Raoul in Colorado
03C2SG
Old 08-10-2003, 12:54 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I do NOT valet park my car.
I usually tip the valet and he directs me to a good spot (usually right in front)

I have heard to many horror stories about valet parking.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:05 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't take the Porsche to places where a wild-eyed teen will drive my car, so that's the only tip I can offer. But I think your fears are well grounded in the reported experiences of others. I've read reports of the mysterious "evaporation" of several gallons of fuel, wild drives (and speeding tickets), beer spills in the interior, and, of course, bent metal/plastic. In one case I read about, a car was totaled by a valet. I assume such cases are relatively rare, but we let the parking valets drive our SUV instead.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:29 PM
Wikkid911
Remarkable
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ferris Bueller!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DONT DO IT!!!

Dave
'90 C2
Old 08-10-2003, 10:46 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I do valet service as part of my job.

Do not ever, ever valet your flawless Porsche. There is NO reason to take the chance. Yes, they will fix any damage, but a car has been damaged, it's been damaged.

That said, I park a LOT of cars and I'm damn good at it, and I've never so much a nicked a door against the wall in my 2 years of doing so. Every other one of my co-workers has done some significant damage. That should say enough.

We still offer self parking service in the same parkade, and it's cheaper. Last night there was a gorgeous silver 993C4S from washington parked downstairs - too bad for me it wasn't valet!
Old 08-11-2003, 12:04 PM
Bins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just tell the restaraunt that you car is not insured for any other drivers, including the valet.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:03 AM
slinky
Burning Brakes

My Porsche is only driven by me or my mechanic (sometimes I let my finace drive it).

I would never let a valet park my car. I park it. Then, if it gets damaged, it is my own fault. Also, I never take the car if the parking situation could be iffy.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:58 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on the restaurant, parking lot, etc. Like many others, if there is a valet, I will usually take another car. However, the one time I had a last minute lunch and I was driving the C4S, I tipped the valet $5 and he let me park right in front in a HUGE space next to pylons. I tipped him another $5 when I left. Seemed like a good deal to me.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:55 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't do it!
Old 08-13-2003, 01:26 PM
TT X50
Advanced

Altho not restaurants, here's what's worked for me at hotels.

Drive the car yourself. If necessary take the valet with you who can direct you the the valet parking area where you might be able to select a nice wide stall between pillars.

Or, after paying valet rates they may let you self park in their valet parking area, which is also more secure.

First saw this at the Marriot in Monterey when 355 spider owners stayed in the drivers seat bc it was easier than letting valets try to figure out the paddle shift.
Old 08-14-2003, 05:16 PM
Weaver
Advanced

I think we have all heard the stories of the valet and the 915 g-box missing 1st AND 2nd syncros!
Old 08-15-2003, 07:20 AM
Helen
Racer

not a service that we get a lot in England. thank goodness!

only time it's ever been offered was at a hotel in dublin, no spotty youth but a mature well groomed door man who seemed to know what he was doing and no charge.
Old 08-15-2003, 10:51 PM
Random Alias
Advanced

Originally posted by Wikkid911

Ferris Bueller!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DONT DO IT!!!

Dave
'90 C2

Old 08-20-2003, 06:54 AM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 150 Likes on 81 Posts

There was a story of a guy in England who had a rare 928 CS or SE and dropped it off at British Airwais Parking to pick up his boss. When he came back, they said a mishap happened with the car and gave him a rental. They tried to cover up for days that they had totalled the car, crashing it against a concrete wall.

You can valet park my Saab, but you ain't going to touch the beast...
Old 08-20-2003, 07:24 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We don't have a lot of valet parking in Sweden, but the only persons who drive my car is me and my mechanic and my best friends who I know can drive.

I once let one of my absolutely best friend drive my S2 since it had to me moved and I had a few drinks earlier. It was a 2 km drive and when he came back he said that is smelled funny after the drive.

He had pretty much fried the clutch since he didn't know any better. An expensive way to learn that lesson for me. I let him drive my BMW sometimes and he loves that car, it's an auto so no problem there.

Quick Reply: Valet Parking Strategy