Car Insurance with Teen in House

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 09:47 PM
magnus129
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Insurance with Teen in House

Porsche-o-nados---

I'm not yet a Porsche owner but decided to get serious about looking. Part of the delay is that I haven't quite decided what I want yet (coupe vs. convertible, 991 vs 981 vs 986, etc). My wife is surprisingly very cool with the idea that my time has come. One issue though...

While I have an absolutely clean driving record and she a minor claim about 8 years ago, our son turns 16 this year and is eligible for a license. We live in CT so it's a graduated license scheme. While he would not be allowed to drive it (and he's trustworthy to not do so...) my wife is actually more worried about our overall car insurance rates and the damned property tax.

Our other cars would be an '08 Toyota Highlander Hybrid and a '14 Subaru Crosstrek.

Any thoughts on how I still make this happen without the teen killing the deal? Do we get a different policy for him? Do we try to convince them it's a low mileage car (which I'd try to do anyway)?

If not, I guess the bicycle will have to suffice for junior

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

M
Old 05-29-2014, 08:25 PM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 106 Posts

I just went thru this as my son just turned 16 and got his license.

I bought my 2003 911 last year and we had 3 cars in the family - my wife's Highlander, my oldest son's Honda CRV and my 911. My wife, for whatever reason and god bless her, refuses to move off having a $250 deductible. I'm done fighting about it. My insurance ? About $5200/year. Well, I just picked up a 2011 BMW 328i for a whole host of reasons. We couldnt say that he would be driving the highlander as with 4 cars and 4 people, each person had to be tagged to a separate car. My insurance now ? $10,300/year. Yep - went up by $5K. Now, I can certainly lower by increasing the deductible, but I am now paying more per month for the insurance on the BMW than I am on the loan on the BMW.

Be sure to check quotes. I think hes better off on your insurance, but I'd check because you'll have 3 vehicles and 3 family members.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:27 AM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I solved that issue by buying a beater and only had liability insurance and that was car my son was listed as "primary" on. As a result premiums for the other vehicles never changed. Probably varies state to state and insurance companies but kept our rates very cheap while teen was in the house.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:59 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandLaker
I solved that issue by buying a beater and only had liability insurance and that was car my son was listed as "primary" on. As a result premiums for the other vehicles never changed. Probably varies state to state and insurance companies but kept our rates very cheap while teen was in the house.
I'm about to have a teen in the house driving.

I have several Porsches -- can I have them remove them and
have a separate policy for them then the rest of my cars?
Through Haverty or some such?

thanks,

Mike
Old 10-24-2015, 04:59 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think my GTI is as fast off boost, as the Crosstrek is any time, LOL.nThe MkVII's make a ton of torque just off idle. If you haven't driven a 2015+, you should. Fantastic cars.

If you can make it up your driveway in an AWD car on all seasons, the GTI PP on snows will have zero issues. Modern snow tires are amazing.

Quick Reply: Car Insurance with Teen in House