Notices

Why does porsche still race their 911's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 08:57 PM
vprgrn
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why does porsche still race their 911's?

FWIW I'm a fan of both the Cayman and 911, and beyond that I really don’t have a horse in this race, so to speak, inasmuch as I don’t own a Porsche.

A lot of people complain how the Cayman platform was purposely “neutered” by porsche in order to preserve sales and the “halo-effect” of the 911, even though the 981 could be dynamically superior, were it given the same engine options as the 911.

So here's my question: if the above is actually true, then why does Porsche currently still race 911 Cup cars, and not switch to exclusively Cayman Cup Cars or some equivalent (i.e. Caymans that could easily accommodate the 911 Cup Cars’ mechanicals.)?

Thanks,

Vprgrn
Old 02-26-2014, 09:52 PM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

there are still advantages of the rear engine design of the 911, so i wouldn't say mid engine is superior.. braking force is distributed more through the rear and the corner exit squat. Im not sure how much, but there are physical advantages of both. from a marketing perspective it makes sense to stick with the higher price point 911s.. and then there is the history
Old 02-27-2014, 10:01 AM
vprgrn
Intermediate

Thanks for weighing in. It makes sense. The "marketing perspective" you allude to is interesting: so I guess even if Porsche weren't worried about marketing optics or preserving their heritage (and that's a big "if", I realize), the 911 would still have a place in their motorsport arsenal (depending on the track and application).
Old 03-05-2014, 07:52 AM
roundel
Track Day

Rear engine works for them and the FIA seems to try to allow them to remain competitive.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:48 PM
vprgrn
Intermediate

This is interesting - are you saying the FIA shapes the rules to benefit rear-engined cars?

Quick Reply: Why does porsche still race their 911's?