Notices

My 'Porsche Pavilion'.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 09:43 AM
PaulGeudon
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My 'Porsche Pavilion'.

It is finally time to share my new garage on here. I was looking for inspiration in creating a garage space that would be a contemporary design yet able to get planning permission in a leafy English village. A place that could house my two Porsches and offer the space I wanted to be able to tinker with my older car during the weekends... The two garages that offered that inspiration are the Milou garage in Switzerland and Jack Olsen's fabulous space in Los Angeles - both builds have been well documented and whilst mine would clearly be different they offered plenty of direction.

The external appearance of the space had to be in-keeping with my home - a barn conversion. The planning department were always going to take a vested interest too, as my home is opposite a beautiful church dating back to the 14th Century. Luckily for me, the planning department liked the design and granted me planning permission in July 2012.

First we had to create a level area that would be able to take a garage with a 7.5m x 7.5m footprint plus an all-new driveway to access the garage... Then dig the footings, foundations and start the blockwork. I have hundreds of pictures, but here's a selection.
Attached Images     
Old 07-01-2013, 09:45 AM
PaulGeudon
Instructor

The concrete base for the floor was in by November. As you'll notice, the brickwork is low on one side and to the front. More of this later...

The snow came and my contractor went away just after Christmas. In the end work resumed in March and it has been a fairly solid push to finish from then until just two-weeks ago when it was completed.

The second picture below shows the wood work. The main structural items used green oak.
Attached Images    
Old 07-01-2013, 09:47 AM
PaulGeudon
Instructor

And now to the finished item. The architect that made up the plans for me referred to the design as "more of a Porsche Pavilion than a garage." That name has kinda stuck.

The lights are LED throughout, with some in the floor that run the length of the driveway. These can all be operated from inside my home. And now you can see why some of the wall was low - 1m to the front and 3m to the side are glass. This means I can see inside from the house and I must confess to spending far too much time looking out and then eventually wandering out to have a little tinker. Often in pyjamas.

The glass is 12mm thick and actually reclaimed from an exhibition held at London Heathrow T5 - which means it is bomb-proof!
Attached Images      
Old 07-01-2013, 09:53 AM
PaulGeudon
Instructor

Security wise it is alarmed with sensors and HD cameras. Unfortunately, there are no doors yet. These were left off the original plans and I now have to re-apply for a planning amendment to get doors fitted. I'm in no rush, so these will be done by the Winter.

The floor is a nonporous resin stone that does not let oil through. A little Swarfega and some water lifts any oil drops to rinse away. Works very well and was a major deciding factor when choosing the floor. I also have a rubber system that I use for more involved work on my old 911 SWB.
Attached Images     
Old 07-01-2013, 09:55 AM
PaulGeudon
Instructor

These images show the asymmetric roof design and how the space looks at night. Thanks to Milou and Jack Olsen for inspiring this build.
Attached Images    
Old 07-01-2013, 11:14 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very cool!
Old 07-01-2013, 05:26 PM
PaulGeudon
Instructor

Originally Posted by XR4Tim
Very cool!
Thanks... Glad your 996 post was regarding my garage!
Old 07-04-2013, 03:59 PM
Tom Witte
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulGeudon
These images show the asymmetric roof design and how the space looks at night. Thanks to Milou and Jack Olsen for inspiring this build.
Awsome! As an architect, I appreciate the details and asymmetry. Absolutely love the floor! However, I must ask. Were the doors left off on purpose or as an oops! With those goodies on the wall and no doors, it's no wonder you are staring out the window in your pj's all night......;-)

Well done!

Sent from my iPad using Rennlist
Old 07-04-2013, 04:15 PM
PaulGeudon
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tom Witte

Awsome! As an architect, I appreciate the details and asymmetry. Absolutely love the floor! However, I must ask. Were the doors left off on purpose or as an oops! With those goodies on the wall and no doors, it's no wonder you are staring out the window in your pj's all night......;-)

Well done!

Sent from my iPad using Rennlist
Thanks Tom. Doors are being made currently, but need a new Planning Application! It's alarmed, has light sensors and HD cameras... All the period posters are also fixed using special fitting that means the frames cannot be lifted off.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:57 PM
PaulGeudon
Instructor

Looking out at night never gets old...
Attached Images  
Old 07-05-2013, 02:22 PM
Instructor

Beautiful!

A truly elegant solution to showcase your gems.

You are a braver soul than I. Sleep deprivation would be a given until doors were installed.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:08 PM
PaulGeudon
Instructor

Originally Posted by 917962
Beautiful!

A truly elegant solution to showcase your gems.

You are a braver soul than I. Sleep deprivation would be a given until doors were installed.
Luckily I live in a very quiet little village, so it's been okay. Just had locals walking up to the house and taking pictures of the cars!
Attached Images  
Old 07-11-2013, 12:06 PM
andy_uranium
Track Day

very nice! loving it.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:31 PM
PaulGeudon
Instructor

Originally Posted by andy_uranium
very nice! loving it.
Thanks Andy.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:49 PM
PaulGeudon
Instructor

Off to Goodwood Festival of Speed in the morning. Anyone else going?

I have the Porsche Hospitality in the Le Mans Café with display parking in the 'Supercar Car Park'...
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: My 'Porsche Pavilion'.