Notices

I'd like to learn more about anodized wheel care

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 11:43 AM
HandyRacing
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'd like to learn more about anodized wheel care

Hello all. I rescued this match set of 7-slot (sewer cap) wheels from going to a smelter for scrap.

Two are 16X7 and two are 16X8.

I've wanted to polish them but see folks say don't ever polish anodized wheels. I tried to use dish soap and some good rubbing with a sponge but they still have this cloudy look to them.

Aside from proper care issue from the past, if the damage is done then I suppose I can't hurt them more. I might as well carefully try to polish them.

Underneath the cloudy surface, there are certainly areas that want to shine quite nicely.

If I understand the anodized aluminum process properly, it's basically a chemical oxidation process. That being the case, aluminum oxide is also known as corundum when its naturally occurring, also known as sapphire when its in a nice clear crystal.

Sapphire or corundum (same stuff used in the old days for grinding wheels), has a mohs scale hardness of 9, which is second only to diamond in hardness (10).

If all that holds up under technical review, it would seem that any polish with a hardness less than aluminum oxide / corundum / sapphire / or less than nine (9) should be able to be used?

I'm going to try this as I don't have anything to lose with these rims. Worse case is I have them powder coated. Any further ideas how I might restore these classic rims? Thanks.
Attached Images  

Last edited by HandyRacing; 05-18-2013 at 11:49 AM. Reason: re-size photo
Old 05-18-2013, 12:21 PM
HandyRacing
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found this link on a discussion board, but it doesn't seem to discuss the hardness issue in technical terms:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...eels-care.html

Quick Reply: I'd like to learn more about anodized wheel care