Notices

Solid black regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 10:42 AM
Straniero
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solid black regrets?

Anybody seriously regret buying a solid black non metallic exterior? I'm about to pull the trigger on a used P, but have some worries about keeping it clean. Rest of the car is great, and I love black, but this particular variant has some disadvantages. It will be my DD and I park in public garage. Seems a shame to let this deal fall through just because of that though...
Thanks!
Old 10-05-2012, 12:07 PM
RacerX1166
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

You won't regret buying the car but I think you'll regret going with black. I owned a mostly pampered black BMW 540 and, despite only driving it in favorable conditions, I still spent two hours twice per summer touching up stone chips on the front of the car. Fast forward to last month, when I was in the process of looking for a 993. I thought black would be nice; right until the owner of a very nice one sent me high res photos of the car's nose.

The problem with black is that stone chips show up as twinkling little white specks and are quite visible. Throw in the whole rain/road grime factor, and there's no way you could convince me to have a black daily driver (that I cared about). Just my $.02.

But if you like the car, it's got everything else you want, and is priced right, go for it.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:27 AM
BoxheadTim
Track Day

I think it'll depend on how bothered you are about how "dirty" your cars looks and how dusty the area you live in is.

Out here at the edge of the desert cars very dusty very quickly and as a result, a black car looks dirty most of the time. Almost everybody at work who has a black car and cares about her/his car's appearance regrets buying a black one.

OTOH, I think certain Ps look good in black and nearly bought a black Boxster last year so YMMV.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:41 AM
kaz 911
1st Gear

just bought a 997 blk/blk i love it no other color for me the car does have some stone chips in front that you can see from about 18" away still would only buy a blk one also i found out there are alot of car waxes and polishes just for blk cars.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:04 AM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 139 Posts

Obviously hard to keep clean, but when clean looks better than anything out there!
Wrap the whole front in 3M and forgetaboutit.
I drove mine, rain, sun, summer winter and looked forward to cleaning it, just to see it shine!
Old 10-11-2012, 02:54 AM
Straniero
Intermediate

Thanks, guys. I joined the black list... I fell in love.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:09 AM
vanisa89
3rd Gear

just bought a 997 blk/blk is really nice choice for everyone.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Straniero
Intermediate

Congratulations!!

Peter

Quick Reply: Solid black regrets?