Notices

Leather dashboard dimpling from water damage

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2023, 05:26 PM
SukSquezeBangBlo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony
Ill add my experience to this list after being lead here via a google search for a solution.

Porsche owner but this is my 13 Jag XKRs..pristine dash. Had all the windows tinted and noticed this last night when i got back in the car after i left the shop.

Fkd 100%

I feel your pain. There has to be a way to repair this or even make it less noticeable.
Old 08-05-2023, 04:19 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 524 Likes on 200 Posts

Moral of the story, don't tint your windshield.
Old 08-09-2023, 04:19 PM
SukSquezeBangBlo
Intermediate

I'm going to try the Leatherique spot treatment route. Other threads have mentioned this can reduce the marks some. I just want it to be less noticeable and blend into more a natural leather look...
Old 08-11-2023, 08:07 PM
SantaFePorsche
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Leatherdoctor.com

it saved a leather seat bottom. I bit of work - but it really did work. Not sure about a dash or door card where the leather is glued to a substrate.
Old 08-11-2023, 08:14 PM
SukSquezeBangBlo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SantaFePorsche
Leatherdoctor.com

it saved a leather seat bottom. I bit of work - but it really did work. Not sure about a dash or door card where the leather is glued to a substrate.
I did ask a question about this issue over there. His recommendation scared me a bit but might be worth a try…
https://www.leathercleaningrestorati...hboard-creases
Old 08-17-2023, 02:11 AM
SantaFePorsche
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by SukSquezeBangBlo
I did ask a question about this issue over there. His recommendation scared me a bit but might be worth a try…
https://www.leathercleaningrestorati...hboard-creases

that is the kit I used. My seat bottom got soaked and it puckered up and deformed like you dash - but the area of deformation was a lot larger.

I used their kit and it took several days. I have to admit it seemed a bit like voodoo (apply x, cover in plastic wrap for a day, apply y, etc). but it slowly “puffed” the leather back up.

my only concern for you would be what could be impacted in the dash from applying the chemicals - if they leaked through the airbag seams. A bit different than a seat bottom in that respect.

Quick Reply: Leather dashboard dimpling from water damage