Notices

Out of State Traffic Ticket in a Hertz Rental Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 01:33 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Out of State Traffic Ticket in a Hertz Rental Car

Need some insight/advise... I rec'd a notice from the City of Millbrae in NoCAL today. A camera caught me doing a rolling stop(California stop?) at an intersection a few weeks back while on a business trip there. I live in TX so it's a PITA to get back out there to deal with this. Has anyone had to deal with this type of situation? It's saying that I have to appear before them prior to the 26th of March. Is this something that will affect my DMV record in TX? What's the impact to my insurance... should I take the time to attend traffic school in CA to avoid an impact to insurance.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:09 AM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Commercial driver here. I received an improper lane usage ticket in L.A. by a CHIP officer in 2007. All I did was pay the ticket and that was that. No appearance needed if I pled guilty and paid. This infraction, although it was a moving one, did not show on my license. Not sure if they now have changed their reciprocal agreements with other states for traffic offenses. Sounds like a quick call to a traffic attorney might get your questions answered and or post your question in Off Topic, there are a lot of SO attorneys who frequent that forum daily.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:32 PM
Invius
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read the back of the ticket, there is an option to basically process it remotely, without having to go to court, and it does not get points on your license either. You have the option to process it this way yourself, or you can hire a company to do it. It's called "trial by written declaration."
Here is an article about a guy that started a company that does it. No affiliation, blah blah, etc.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/12/27/smal...ding/index.htm
Old 03-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Don't know about CA, someone here I'm sure can clarify, but here in WA, whether you just pay or fight in court and still get found committed, it does not get reported for insurance purposes or points against your license regardless. It is considered the same level as a parking ticket.

On the notice, there should be the violations listed, to include the laws governing the use of camera for enforcement. Google it and you should find that information if no one here knows.

Quick Reply: Out of State Traffic Ticket in a Hertz Rental Car