Notices

Hardtop hoists?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2002, 08:47 PM
Bill Fitzpatrick
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Hardtop hoists?

I have a '99 C4 Cabrio with the hard top. I didn't really want the top, but I was buying the car used and the dealer said I could leave the top but the price wasn't going to change. I actually was really glad to have it over the colder winter months, and in the rainy weather. During the spring/summer though I would really like to get it up off the floor and out of the way. Does anyone have any comments on some of the solutions out there? (www.eztop.com, Sto' Away, removabletops.com, others??) I'd especially like to hear if anyone has come up with a good do it yourself "kit". I am quite handy, and I see these kits for sale and can't help but think I could make my own for a lot less!!
Old 04-23-2002, 08:40 AM
Bins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pardon me for asking a silly question but what would be wrong with a simple solution like sticking it on a mattress?
Old 04-26-2002, 02:27 PM
Bill Fitzpatrick
6th Gear

Well, the idea is to keep it stored out of the way and also enable me to install/remove the roof by myself.
Old 04-26-2002, 11:49 PM
RWO
Burning Brakes

You should check out the Porsche ones. I got the rolling one that the top sits on verticlly. It worked well but if you roll it against a will it will stick out about 2 feet. I just ordered the wall mount version that allows you to get the top up and out of the way. I have not put it up yet but will this weekend. If I get it done I'll post a photo...

Roy
Old 04-27-2002, 11:24 AM
Q
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bill

If you can't find a "Porsche" roof hoist,
I know BMW sold one for the E30 3 series convertable.
It may be easily adjusted to suit the 996 roof....
Old 05-03-2002, 04:04 PM
Bill Fitzpatrick
6th Gear

I have found several, I was just hoping to get some feedback from others who may have purchased one. I have a good idea on building my own for substantially less than the $200 plus I see them selling for. I'll be working on it this weekend, so perhaps I'll have some pics to post of the project.

Quick Reply: Hardtop hoists?