Notices

Need advice...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 03:59 PM
Craig.
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can probably get a collection attorney (or collection company -- need not be an attorney) to do the work for a percentage of the amount collected (I have no idea what percentage).
Old 07-01-2002, 11:46 PM
993RS
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks Craig. In the meantime the Brea police have contacted me and will try their luck. If all else fails, I will resort to the collection agency.
Old 07-02-2002, 12:49 AM
christian
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

You have to contact the State Attorneys office in California. Just browse the internet, don't call too early ("we" are 9 hours behind) and I am sure that you will find a district attorney who will help you. Forget the embassy, State Attorney is the name of the game. And next time, make sure you get paid by paypal (www.paypal.com) or have a US money order send to you via FedEx. Even when you are living in Switzerland you can still post on the ebay US web page. Good luck.

ebay user ID: ck20002

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1840688338&ssPageName=ADME:B:LC:US:1" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1840688338&ssPageName=ADME:B:LC:US:1</a>
Old 07-02-2002, 02:13 AM
993RS
Race Car

Christian,
Thanks, I did get paid via PayPal, but could not get the money transfered to my Swiss account. The buyer "helpfully" suggested I transfer the money back to his PayPal account, and then he said he would have his bank wire me the money... Trustingly, I did, and never heard from him again...
Thanks for the tip, I will also try to contact a DA.
Old 07-02-2002, 08:15 AM
Christer
Race Car

Wink

Keep going Phil!
Old 07-04-2002, 01:22 AM
993RS
Race Car

Finally! Got an email from a detective on the Brea police force that he managed to contact the person, who has now finally made the payment back on to PayPal! Thanks to everybody for your help and assistance!

Just one last question: Anybody know how I can get my money from my PayPal account without having to open an account in the US? They do not support transfers to accounts in Switzerland.
Old 07-04-2002, 04:25 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Phil,
If You like, I can "activate" my pay "Un" pal account....and then send you a Certifed check?..
Old 07-04-2002, 05:03 AM
Craig.
Racer

Congratulations Phil. Glad to hear that everything worked out for you.

Craig (L.A.)
Old 07-04-2002, 10:58 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by 993RS:
<strong>Finally! Got an email from a detective on the Brea police force that he managed to contact the person, who has now finally made the payment back on to PayPal! Thanks to everybody for your help and assistance!

Just one last question: Anybody know how I can get my money from my PayPal account without having to open an account in the US? They do not support transfers to accounts in Switzerland.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Man! Thank goodness. Makes me happy for you. Still kinda pisses me off that the guy still used pay pal knowing you'd have difficulties with it. At least the money is now available.

What I would suggest at this point is have somebody you know here in the US open a paypal account, transfer the money to this person you know, and have him mail you a check. You don't know me from Adam, but I have a pay pal account for varied and sundy e-commerce. I can e-mail you my address, drivers license, family tree and crest , whatever you want. I just want this thing settled for you.

BTW, make sure you notify E-bay and pay pal about this guy. Make it hard for him to do this again.
Old 07-04-2002, 11:45 AM
993RS
Race Car

Palting, Craig, etc.
Thanks again for your moral support.

Phil McGarth has kindly offered to let me transfer the payment to his PayPal account and he will send me a check. I am in email contact with him.

The guy told the detective in Brea that he went through his PayPal account information
and because of the sheer number of transactions he makes through that company he lost track of the "not paid" receipt he received from PayPal
regarding my account. Kind of a fishy story, since I had returned the money to his account so that he could send me a check. He made it sound as if he "forgot to make the payment" (despite my 50 emails and messages on his telephone recorder...)
Old 07-04-2002, 02:59 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Phil,

Glad to hear that you finally got paid. Also, nice to know that the local police were willing to help. I hope that Brea detective scared this little S.O.B. good.

AWTEW (All's Well That Ends Well).

richard
'87 Carrera-3.6L
Old 07-04-2002, 03:27 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been following this thread with no more advice than was already given. Score one for the good guys and make sure this guys reputation is tarnished with Pay Pal and E-Bay as noted earlier. Congratulations!

Jim
Old 07-05-2002, 12:33 AM
993RS
Race Car

I forwarded the detective in Brea all emails from the buyer and from PayPal which document the whole history of what happened. Luckily, I kept all the emails instead of deleting them as usual (premonition?). He will investigate further.
Old 07-05-2002, 10:27 AM
John W
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Phil,

I'm glad you finally got this sorted.
If in the future you have difficulties, I will be glad to help.
I am in the UK, which makes things a little easier than transfers from the US.

If you wish to take me up on this option, please let me know first though.
Many of the uk guys know me, and obviously I would provide full details before you proceeded with anything like this.

I find it really strange that Paypal wouldn't pay to a swiss account. Mind you, they wouldn't allow me to make a CC payment until my account had been openned for a month !
In the end I uses <a href="http://www.escrow.com" target="_blank">www.escrow.com</a>

All the best.
John.
Old 07-05-2002, 03:35 PM
pmcgrath
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PHIL,
I just sent you a private message.

Quick Reply: Need advice...