Notices

Missing VIN Plate or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 04:51 PM
kksarver
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Missing VIN Plate or not?

I have an 86 Carrera. There is no VIN plate on the drivers door pillar. Under the hood behind the latch there is a sticker that lists the chassis/trans/eng numbers and specialty codes. This does not list the Gross vehicle weight etc. I am wanting to bring my car to Germany with me on vacation and I know that the port authority will want to see the VIN plate particularly for the vehicle weight. A check of the title indicates no foul play.
Did Porsche not install a VIN plate ( like you see on all american cars etc) on the car?
If so where can I get one installed?
Any help would be appreciated
null
Old 10-30-2001, 05:52 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Sounds like you have a ROW version or you guys call them Gray Market Porsches. The VIN data plate on a ROW 911 is on the left hand forward side of the luggage compartment (looking from front). It is only rivetted on. On the passenger side (LHD) you should find a sticker with a bar code on the door surround rear structure. ROW well European 911s did not get VIN on the door pillar until 1995,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

PS: If you have a US version then there is something wrong.
Old 11-02-2001, 12:00 AM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My ROW '81 911SC only had the VIN in the trunk and on the driver's side windshield frame. No door jamb VIN plate. The car had been repainted by Bosche Porsche and I would have thought they would have replaced it if there was one there and removed. So maybe it is a ROW standard as Adrian says.

Jim
Old 11-02-2001, 10:20 AM
kksarver
Intermediate

Thank You for your replies.
I do have the sticker with the bar code on the passenger side b pillar.
But, I also have documentation that shows the car was purchased from a dealership in Florida since new. And certificate of authenticity from PCNA that says it is a us spec car.
Question. Can dealerships bring in Gray market cars cars and sell them as US Spec?
Having lived in Germany for 5 years I know that a large number of Gray Market cars do go to Florida. Also can US Spec cars have this bar code on them?
Thanks
Old 11-02-2001, 11:44 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought my brother an '84 Carrera that was a stolen recovery when I was in the car business. The VIN sticker on door jamb and windshield VIN plate were removed by the bad guys. I went to the local Porsche dealer, showed them my title and other paperwork and was able to order both. Took a couple of weeks but, it was worth it. You might try that if you need something you're missing.

Jim
Old 11-03-2001, 11:16 AM
kksarver
Intermediate

I have been in contact with my local Porsche dealrship (within a 100 miles)for the past week. I have proof of ownership, title search, etc.. and will be going to him and getting the paperwrok accomplished to get the VIN plate.
I am still trying to fiqure out why I would have bar code on the passenger b pillar. As Adrian mentioned this points to Gray Market cars, but mine was sold at a dealership. If my car is in fact a Gray market a lot went into its conversion. All the interior gauges, stickers in the engine compartment, manuals, are in english.
Is there a Gray Market expert out there help me.

Thank You for your help.
Old 11-05-2001, 07:37 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

I am afraid you misunderstood. All Porsches have the label with the bar code from quite some time ago. I do not know exactly when it was introduced.
A ROW pre 1995 model had only the bar code label, the label under the hood, a copy of the hood label in the service records and the rivetted data plate with the VIN engraved on it.
US Spec 911s also had a date of manufacture plate installed and the VIN number atached to the front door pillar so it could be read from outside.
My point was if this plate was missing it is very strange indeed and points to something fishy or an imported Gray Market 911. Something fishy would include a MAJOR accident which resulted in a cut and shut job and the original VIN plate was destroyed or lost in the process.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

PS: Here in Europe, messing around with VINs is called "Ringing".

Quick Reply: Missing VIN Plate or not?