History investigation

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 05:20 AM
Barwaut
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post History investigation

Members,

I've got my first 912 and bought it while it's immaculate. Previous owner spend about 25.000 dollars on it.
But as always there's one 'but'...

The car has been re-VIN-ed in CA. The original VIN is unknown to me. I searched the DMV sites and know i can file for some records, but it will take some time and perhaps they don't have anything registered.

My opinion is that the car has been a salvage once.
What are your idea's and who will help me to do some inquiries, because I am from The Netherlands.

Thanks in advance.

Barwaut Verhoeven
b@rwaut.com
Old 01-07-2002, 08:33 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Barwaut,
If you are in Holland with an ex CA 912 this is going to be tough. Very tough.
My suggestion is to first establish the chassis number. This number can be found engraved in the trunk somewhere. You may have to search around for it. This will give you the original serial number of the 912.
You will then be able to construct the original VIN (assuming it was always a USA version).
The other way will be to contact the PCNA or PAG and try and get a cross reference from the chassis number. I wish I can help more. I have done this on 911s but I do not know the 912 VIN sequences.
Good luck.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 01-07-2002, 08:46 AM
Barwaut
Track Day

Thumbs up

Adrian,

Thanks for your quick reply. I only checked the left doorstyle for the original VIN, but as you can expect from my story it wasn't there. Next saturday I have the opportunity to check the trunk (because the car is at the other side of The Netherlands)

But where does these abreviations stand for:
PCNA (Porsche Club North America?) and PAG?

Thanks!

[edit typo's]
Old 01-07-2002, 01:06 PM
Patricia
Racer

In California, a replacement VIN is issued when the original VIN plate is damaged or lost.

We owned a salvage vehicle at one time - we bought our own car back from the insurance company and re-built it. That car had it's original VIN.

We currently own a car with a replacement VIN; we know (because my husband was in the salvage business at the time) that it was stolen, and the VIN ground off. The police didn't recover it until after the insurance claim had been paid, so the insurance company got a replacement VIN and sold it at auction.

There could be other reasons why a VIN could be replace, but recovered theft vehicles were the big reason when my husband worked int the business.
Old 01-07-2002, 07:47 PM
Tom
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PCA= Porsche Club of America

PCNA= Porsche Cars North America (the distributor

PAG= Dr. Ing. h. c. F. Porsche Aktiengeschellschaft
Old 01-08-2002, 03:09 PM
Barwaut
Track Day

Pat and Tom thanks.

Your story was quite helpful. So i continue searching and i hope that Porsche-friends from The States are still willing to help.

I know the name and adress of the last american owners. Can anyone check in a phonebook wether they still live there and what the number is?

The data is from 2/17/1990:

Ulrich Robert
or Lorraine Georgette
17309 Yvette st
Cerritos CA 90701

I copied this straight away from the last Validated Registration Card. So I don't know if the first or lastnames are in correct order, because they all look like frstnames to me
Probably I can call them for further information.

Thanks Again!!!!
Old 01-08-2002, 05:28 PM
Barwaut
Track Day

Well, did an amazing discovery (for a dutch guy)on Google. Type one's name and Google lists all the residential data of that person(s).

Seems to be 19 Robert Ulrich's in CA....
Old 01-09-2002, 09:45 AM
jpitman
Instructor

Barwaut, try using www.anywho.com to search for people in North America. I found 20 Robert U, but noe in that zip code.
jp
Old 01-12-2002, 05:05 PM
Barwaut
Track Day

Hello again everybody,

The story continues.
I had the opportunity to search the car well today. I checked the trunk and at the end of it I found very hidden a stamped number: 460355. As my 912 is a '67 it is possible that this is the right VIN.

Reading some stories on Rennlist, i read the story about the policeofficer who was looking for info about a car. I also read that het checked some VIN on being stolen.

Is it possible to check that as a non-policeofficer?

Thanks,

Barwaut
Old 02-09-2002, 04:51 AM
robertinla
Intermediate

Too bad it's too early of a model for Carfax to be of help.

For any car of model year 1981 or later, you can get all the official title, salvage, lease history of a car online.

Quick Reply: History investigation