Notices

How can you afford a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2001, 11:47 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
17 with a part time job, I got my 911 when I turned 16. I'm lucky though. It doesn't take much to own a 911, a lot of early cars can be had for under $10,000 all the way up to some of the later limited edition cars which can't even be found for under $100,000. Find a nice car that's been well-kept and enjoy it.

later,

amir
Old 12-31-2001, 05:05 AM
red9four4
Three Wheelin'

Talking

i am 17 and bought my own porsche. i paid 2800 for a 83 944. a used 944 is the best deal for you money.
Old 01-01-2002, 08:32 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I always had nice cars when I was single (4 different Alfa's) but when I got married I had to reprioritize my finances. Buy a house, have kids, start saving for college, etc. After seven years and the wife's back to work I get to being a little itchy for a nice ride-so I say I've got the seven year itch. Either I get a girlfriend or a Porsche. You choose. Guess which one wifey picked?
Old 01-02-2002, 02:16 AM
Huzurdd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am 25 and just bought my first porsche. Its a '00 carrera with 10k miles. I make about $900 per week (before taxes)(straight 40 hours)working for the phone co. Thing of the matter is that the phone co. has 10-12 hour days and 6-7day long weeks. I work so much overtime it really makes me sick. But I take home a nice check after uncle sam gets his share. I almost doubled my annual pay working so much OT. But I am really greatfull to have a job while other less fortunate and can't afford to feed their families. So i feel I am very fortunate and really appreciate what I have. Prior to this I wrecked my truck and wasn't walking for about 4 months. Then didn't have a car and had to get rides to work for about a year. I figure you only live once and if I didn't care for myself and my sanity no one else would. So I take the work week in stride and play on the few days I have off. It really is calming driving something you love....
I paid $0- down and get really scared around payment time. But like I said you got to just go for it. As they say "its better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all". I say go for if even its for a little while. The opportunity may never present itself again!! And like I discovered it is possible life could end tomorrow or even around the next corner. Live life to the fullest. The biggest fear I have is regret not the car payment!!!
Old 01-03-2002, 07:24 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Originally posted by Huzurdd:
<STRONG>I am 25 and just bought my first porsche. Its a '00 carrera with 10k miles. I make about $900 per week (before taxes)(straight 40 hours)working for the phone co. Thing of the matter is that the phone co. has 10-12 hour days and 6-7day long weeks. I work so much overtime it really makes me sick. But I take home a nice check after uncle sam gets his share. I almost doubled my annual pay working so much OT. But I am really greatfull to have a job while other less fortunate and can't afford to feed their families. So i feel I am very fortunate and really appreciate what I have. Prior to this I wrecked my truck and wasn't walking for about 4 months. Then didn't have a car and had to get rides to work for about a year. I figure you only live once and if I didn't care for myself and my sanity no one else would. So I take the work week in stride and play on the few days I have off. It really is calming driving something you love....
I paid $0- down and get really scared around payment time. But like I said you got to just go for it. As they say "its better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all". I say go for if even its for a little while. The opportunity may never present itself again!! And like I discovered it is possible life could end tomorrow or even around the next corner. Live life to the fullest. The biggest fear I have is regret not the car payment!!!</STRONG>
My cousin always wanted to do fun things in life, but she was always afraid of tommorow and what it might bring. She loved to travel, but only went on a few trips because she didn't want to be caught on a rainy day with no money.

My cousin, at 25 years old had a blood vessel burst in her brain. She went from cooking breakfast for a friend to dead in less than 10 minutes.

At 26, I just bought my second Porsche, a 1991 911 Turbo, I bought my first at 20, a 1989 944 Turbo S. Live life to its fullest, save a bit, but don't let the fear of a rainy day hold you back. You know what they say, life sometimes follows your plans so don't plane for the worst.

fc-racer
Old 01-03-2002, 07:58 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

wow......sorry man.
Old 01-04-2002, 03:02 AM
Huzurdd
Advanced

sorry to hear this.

Its sad that some have to go. Her life influences you even after she has passed so she will always be remembered.....
Old 01-04-2002, 10:36 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by fc-racer:
<STRONG>...life sometimes follows your plans so don't plan for the worst.

fc-racer</STRONG>
a profound thought... I recall a lesson I (& most of us) learned many years ago & have relearned many times... In driving, focus on where you want to go, not where the you don't. This is true on the road & track, on the off-road (man, is it true in mtn. bike racing!) - any time one is operating "at the limits", when focusing on the positive outcome (& absolutely ignoring the destruction that resides so close to perfection) is the difference between a clean pass & utter failure. It is as true in physical action as it is for emotional control & life-decisions.

Thanks, FC, your cousin's urge to live lives on.
Old 01-04-2002, 08:03 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, right on! Look at where you want to go and you'll get there. There are people who worry about all the what-ifs and bad could-ofs, and guess what? It happens to them! Sure you gotta manage the nit-picky little things like pay bills, clean the house, etc. But a lot of times, people waste way more time worrying about those things than the actual time it takes to do them. Rather spend that time coming up with schemes to make more money and buy Porsches!
Old 02-02-2002, 12:59 AM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

Yes I agree with everyone. Then again, you could do what I did; take your last $50k and throw it down on a good stock, when it turns a 10 bagger, buy the Porsche on the loose change. No guts, no glory.
Old 02-02-2002, 02:19 AM
Level8Drummer
Track Day

Lightbulb

Hey What a great topic. I'm in my freshmen year of college. I currently have no income, but about $1000 in the bank. I currently drive a 1987 Mercedes 300TE.
<a href="http://www.hephaestusdesigns.com/mercedes.html" target="_blank">http://www.hephaestusdesigns.com/mercedes.html</a>
(in the offchance that someone is interested)

I want to sell that and get a Porsche. I've heard that the 944 is most economical Porsche. Should I sell my mercedes and get the Porsche? I've always wanted a Porsche. Could I afford it? What do you guys think?

Oh and PS. How much would insurance be per year? Just an estimation would be of great assistance.

Level8Drummer
Old 02-02-2002, 02:35 PM
Kaz
Three Wheelin'

Hey level8, I personally would stay with the Benz over a normally aspirated 944. I can see the 944 being economical in it's fuel use but that's about it. When it came time for other services cost wise it will prove itself to be indistguishable from it's stablemates.

K
Old 02-02-2002, 02:54 PM
Level8Drummer
Track Day

Question

So you say to stick with the Benz. I'm just dyin to have a sports car though. I'd get a job to have one. How much more anually might a 944 cost than my Mercedes. I've had it for a year without doing anything to it other than changing the oil and getting new tires. Nothing's broken on it. I just want a car with some excitement, and I love Porsches. I could afford a few expenses, but how much anually, just a rough estimation, might it cost to keep up, well whichever Porsche has the cheapest upkeep?
Old 02-02-2002, 03:15 PM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

Wink

Just about any Porsche costs from $3-$5k per year maint. plus insurance and fuel. Drive quietly or pay!!!
Old 02-02-2002, 03:46 PM
Level8Drummer
Track Day

Exclamation

Dear Lord! That's $8-14 a day! I can't afford that much! Does a Porsche really cost that much to keep up and running? Would it cost that much if I only put around 7 or 8k miles on it a year?

Level8Drummer

Quick Reply: How can you afford a Porsche?