Notices

Air Bags didn't deploy

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 03:27 PM
John Roulett
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Air Bags didn't deploy

Has anyone else experienced this? My wife slammed squarely into a metal guardrail. I would include pictures but don't know how(I have a zip file of pix).
The problem is even tnough the entire front end was severly damaged up to , and even in some places , beyond the front wheels, the Air Bags never deployed. Now Porsche was concerned enough to fly a rep up to look at it & their conclusion was that there are 2 sensors on the front of the frame that have to be hit enough to activate the SRS system. So , effectively if this car goes under anything, ie: an SUV bumper , guardrail,etc..., that it won't activate no matter how much inertia is experienced. This sounds a little self serving to me.
I'm seeking input from anyone who might have experienced this same phenomenom and how they were handled , if at all , by Porsche.I can be reached toll free @ 877-786-8374. And thank goodness she was not hurt and the accident was all her own fault, I'm just seeking info on the activation specs or similiar instances of air bag failure. Thank You.
Old 05-21-2003, 03:58 PM
JeffES
Pro

I'd be guessing about the collision, but I do know that whether the front of the car was "severely damaged" has little to do w/airbag deployment. Airbags are deployed when a certain level of deacceleration is reached. There is a combo of a "crash" (mechanical) sensor and "threshold" or "slowdown" sensor, and a combination of the two signals fires the bags. Rear and mid engine cars generally do better at reducing the g's - the folding bodywork is outstanding at "riding down" the crash energy. That's one major advantage to NOT having the motor in front - they make lousy protection.
BTW - if there is enough "inertia", the newer systems will activate.
What model was this?
J
PS - glad to hear that she is OK. Sounds like the car did it's job.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:43 PM
Stephen
Instructor

John,
My business partner's wife suffered almost the same thing in their 99' cab. Car pulled out in front of her at last minute resulting in a "t-bone " hit. Her car was hit a little more on the driver's side,but mostly a front end collision.Neither airbags deployed, while the other car (chevy cavalier) had both of its bags deploy from a side impact ! PCNA also came out and inspected and said that her car had not been hit hard enough to cause the sensors to go off, even though the damage was close to $38,000 .dollars. Go figure.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:17 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by John Roulett:
<strong>Has anyone else experienced this? My wife slammed squarely into a metal guardrail. I would include pictures but don't know how(I have a zip file of pix).
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Send them to me and I'll post them. You have to be a member.

It sure sounds fishy about not enough damage to deploy the SRS for your wife and Stephan's business partner's wife also. $38k in damage and it didn't deploy? Come on!
Old 05-27-2003, 02:33 PM
John Roulett
2nd Gear

Now II'm hearing the firewall is bent !!!! I'm trying to send pix.
Old 05-27-2003, 03:30 PM
JeffES
Pro

No offense, but someone is really feeding you a line now - the "firewall" in both boxsters and 996's is behind the passenger compartment....
For your sake I hope that's not what "they" mean....
J

Quick Reply: Air Bags didn't deploy