Notices

Very General Q's About Porsches

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2002, 08:59 PM
Superjoint Ritual
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Very General Q's About Porsches

I am going to buy a car around late March and I have gone through alot of differant ideas such as Supra MKIV TT, 350Z, to a not so sporty Integra Type R and now I am pretty curious about the famous Porsche. Nothing new to the family but it's been about 20-30 years since one has been in our family..grandfathers side whom is from Germany I may add, but anyways:

-how good are Porsches reliabilities? (I heard good)
-repairs?(expensive I heard, only can be done by Porsche repair shops, all true?)
-a bad idea for a "daily driver?"(i need it for everything which shouldnt be too much)
-how is gas consumption?
-I am not too familiar with all the models but I was thinking 94-99 but there are so many models for each year and it always seems to change
-what models for 94-99 come with back seats?
-Boxster although only 2 seats a very good buy considering all of the above?
-any recodmendations?

I'm on a bit of a budget too, probably no more than $50k Canadian and thats max (i've seen a 97 boxster for $38k)..feel free to add absolutely anything at all, thanks in advance.
Old 12-07-2002, 09:49 PM
Superjoint Ritual
Intermediate

Something more came to mind, I know Integra Type R are very high theft rate cars for the purpose of their performance and more custom like parts are worth a few bucks on the market so they are a big target and with that the parts can be used on any Integra, and well Acura and Honda cars. Do Porsches have a very high theft rate, can their parts be stolen and used in other cars and therefore serve as a car people would want to strip?
Old 12-07-2002, 10:17 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Decide how much money you wish to put into a sports car, then find a Porsche model in that price range.

Search here on Rennlist for every info on that model and test drive as many objects as you can.

After having driven a proper Porsche you will not look at any other brand.
Old 12-08-2002, 12:17 AM
Jessa
Addict
Rennlist Member

From what I've read about car theft and popular models, Porsches aren't that big a target. Being a specialty car with a relatively low volume on the road, its hard to move a stolen Porsche or sell of its parts.

My cars are about 10 years older than what you're looking at, but both have been reliable and are used for daily driving quite comfortably.

For 94-99, its mostly 993, 996 and Boxster.
The 94 and 95 928s are incredibly powerful cars and the back seat is fairly usable, about as good as it gets with Porsches. Unfortunaly, they're hard to come by due to very low production numbers.

There's also the 968. I'm not sure when they stopped making them, somethime early/mid 90's.
Old 12-08-2002, 01:41 AM
Superjoint Ritual
Intermediate

Yes I have found it rather hard to find anything within those years and price range, so far Boxster seems to be a pretty good price but then again it only has two seats..no doubt there are some nice Porsches from early 90's and mid to late 80's at great prices but I don't like the smiley bug look hehe too much VW influence for me.
Old 12-08-2002, 02:19 AM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Talking

If you are considering a Porsche and your selection range is 94-99, then you have 3 different series of 911s to select from: 964,993 and 996...and of course, the Boxster. Additionally you have the 928 and 968 models to choose from as well. WWithin that group are Cooupes, 2+2, Targas, Cabriolets, and even a Speedster. If you have decided on a Pcar then you probably need to assess what your needs are, then begin researching and/or asking the different forums about the specific model or series you're considering. If you want to carry 4 people, the Porsche choice is very simple...a 928. Every series Porsche has a weakness or 2..sometimes just inconvenient, like changing the oil filter on the 993 series, or the distributor belt on the 964, or the infamous electrical problems on the 928; or the first year 996 problems, none of which should discourage you but rather to make you more aware.

I'd suggest asking specific questions that you want answered on each forum. The information you can gather quickly will be surprising. Most everyone has strong feelings about their particular car. I have only owned a few and each provided a lot of enjoyment in different ways.

Whichever model you buy I think everyone would recommend an expert pre-purchase inspection and would recommend only those cars with complete service/repair records. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Very General Q's About Porsches