Notices

"Distant" dealer has car I'd buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 04:59 PM
rod j
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question "Distant" dealer has car I'd buy?

I've been browsing dealer new car inventories at porschedealer.com and have found a couple that are close enough to what I would order to buy one instead of waiting. I've confirmed by email/phone that the cars are in stock and available for sale.

If possible, I'd prefer buying from my local dealer where the car will be serviced instead of doing a "long distance" transaction myself. What's involved in a dealer to dealer transaction on a new vehicle? Do dealers want to do this? Should this make the car more expensive than ordering a new one?

Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated....
Old 05-05-2003, 10:00 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to think like you, but the "local" dealers drove me away.

The local dealer will be happy to service the car anyway, since the service department is a "profit center". I think they are required to service all cars anyway as part of the franchise agreement, especially warranty work.

So, there really is no issue, except the additional transportation costs, and I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice here on how much to pay. It depends on distance. But up to a 1000 miles $500 is reasonable. You can even negotiate this in a soft market.

Since it is a soft market, if the local dealer gives you attitude, you might suggest that that could impact future Porsche purchases.

I wouldn't do a dealer to dealer transaction, hthere is no need. If the dealer has the car on the lot he will work hard to move for many reasons, current economy, future allocations etc. Negotiate hard but fair.

You will have no worries, unless your local dealer is really an "idiot" and if so why would you ever wnat to buy from him in the first place.

I have found that after buying a few cars outside the area, my local dealer is taking a lot more notice and trying to earn my business.

Quick Reply: "Distant" dealer has car I'd buy?