Notices

Different tread patterns & handling...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 01:06 AM
brianh
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Different tread patterns & handling...

I while ago I posted pics of my rear tire with a screw embedded. The position of the screw made the tire unrepairable and I wound up buying two replacement tires. In the front I have Michelin XGTV - probably about 2/3 worn and in the rear two new Michelin XGTV4 Pilots. One thing... the tread pattern between old & new (front & rear) is significantly different.

With the new tires in the rear I can feel a side-to-side jiggle at the back end, more pronounced at higher speed. I don't remember the car ever doing this before. I figured to begin with it was just something to do with breaking in the tires and it would go away - or I wouldn't notice it after a while. However, after over 1K miles it's still there.

Does anyone know what may be causing this? Could the different tread pattern between fronts & rears be doing this? - It's hard to imagine this being the case - but I'll bow to greater experience. Is it possible that improper balancing could be the culprit?

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

brianh

'94 968 (31K miles)
Old 03-26-2003, 09:11 PM
brownd911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brian, there are two things to consider, first is the tread design itself and the difference in patterns can cause a different feel in the handling characteristic in the vehicle. Second is the difference in tread depth and as you say your worn tires are 2/3 gone and the new are, well new with a new tread depth of 10/32 with more maleable tread blocks, the tires at the opposite end have a shallower tread depth thus more stable tread blocks - giving you a different feel - which I'll offer to translate as quicker response on turn-in. As an asside, the best place for the new tires is on the rear - as understeer is easier and safer for most of us to handle. You have a choice to make, either live with the 'condition' or replace the fronts with matching tires.

Quick Reply: Different tread patterns & handling...