911 advice/"buyers guide"

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 03:47 AM
brian_l_cummings
AutoX

Location: originally Phoenix, Arizona; but currently Osaka, Japan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 911 advice/"buyers guide"

To start off, since this is my very first posting (actually, this post is duplicated in the 911 forum), I should probably give some sort of introduction...My name is Brian, I am 25 years old, I am American, though I have been living in Japan for the last year and a half or so...I teach english, and I also teach political science at a junior college. I have loved the porsche marque ever since I could remember, though I have never owned one (I have come close several times) My current cars are a VW Corrado, and Rover Mini Cooper...
Now, to my question: I know there are a number of books about this subject (and I intend to order them) but I wanted to get as many opinions as I possibly could... I would like to buy a used porsche 911 when I get back to the U.S. (this April or May)...but I don't think that it is possible, I am probably dreaming...I have checked a number of car price guides (blue book, edmund's, and the like) and their quoted values do not match what I see when I look on websites like autotrader.com....IS IT POSSIBLE to buy a nice aircooled 911 (most likely a 78-83 911SC, maybe an 84-89) for $10-12K (US)??? (not interested in a targa) Would one of these cars be something that could be driven daily? are parts and repairs going to strangle me? how about reliability? I know the old sayings to buy as much as you can afford, let someone else do the restoration work, etc etc...who out there has a 78-83 911SC? do you drive it everyday? (or almost) I am hoping that I will get lots and lots of responses for this, because like I said earlier, I want lots of different opinions. If someone out there thinks that this is an impractical idea, speak out. I should probably mention that my mechanical ability is OK, but not great; bigger projects I would need help...I think I covered everything...now let the answers and opinions roll on in....
Old 01-01-2003, 02:20 PM
Joe
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check out my thread "new to the scene" im in the same boat you are but i have just a little bit more money i wanna spend if i find the right car....good luck

Quick Reply: 911 advice/"buyers guide"