Notices

Testing and Cleaning Injectors at home!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2002, 01:17 PM
John..
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Testing and Cleaning Injectors at home!!!!

I devised a way to run and test fuel injectors without having to pay someone $25.00 and injector to do it for me. That adds up when you have a V8. I think the whole thing cost me maybe $15.00 (including the cleaner).

I made my own pressure cell out of the following:

A 2 liter bottle...Diet Coke I think?
A valve stem
A threaded lamp stud (the hollow ones for wire to pass through)
Three nuts to fit the lamp stud
Teflon Tape
A 3' piece of fuel hose
Two hose clamps
A voltage supply (from my 1978 Tyco Night Glow race track set...too bad it didn't have Porsche cars) with an adjustable voltage regulator.
One lemon juice bottle (I'll get bitched at later for taking this out of the frige without asking)

The lid of the 2 liter bottle can be drilled to fit the valve stem, and the threaded stud can be drilled and mounted in the bottom of the bottle. I wrapped teflon tape over the threaded stud and double nutted the back side of it (inside the bottle). Then, I just tightened it all down and put the hose on with the hose clamps.

Filled the bottle up 1/2 way with gasoline and hooked the other end up to an injector. All you need to open the injector is about 9 volts....a supply is best, but a 9 volt battery works fine as well. I found the injectors acted funny with only three volts, mainly because my supply could not hold the voltage requirements of the coils inside the injectors.

I flowed all 8 injectors, first with sea foam carbon cleaner and then with some gasoline. The sea foam atomizes differently than the gasoline, so be sure to check your injectors with gasoline. The sea foam really cleaned them out without difficulty, and I had two that would not even open up at all (they are used ones I am putting in the car) I sprayed the gasoline down into a glass bottle to watch the spray pattern. Set the gasoline level the same each time and pressurize the bottle the same each time and you can check for balanced flow on your injectors by marking the level of the gas passed per unit time (I did 1 minute to check static holding of the injector) Mine were all real close in flow, which is very good, considering two of them would not even open when I received them (used). You can also reverse flow the injectors as well!

The 2 liter bottle setup is relaible to 60 psig, but I would stay with 40 psig for testing purposes. I ran my setup at well over 60 psig without the bottle breaking. If it ruptures, make sure you are looking the other way!!!!!

Just thought I would share this info with you guys. I never like to pay money for something I can do myself (Specifically when I can take my time and do it more thoroughly than someone who is in a rush to finish).
Old 10-18-2002, 06:19 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I can't say I tested them as thoroughly, but when I was working on my 911SC and my 930 (both with mechanical injectors), I used a can of brake cleaner and jammed the end of the hose into the injector to see the pattern. Some were good. Others not so good. I then soaked the injectors in a bottle of Chevron injector cleaner for several days, while I did other engine work. I then did the brake cleaner test again and the results were amazing. All sprayed with an even pattern. As far as flow rates...I didn't get that technical.

Anyway, it was a good way to clean them and test mechanical injectors.

Jim
Old 10-24-2002, 02:10 AM
BigPorscheGuy39
Banned

Question for ya: At what pressure did your 911 injectors begin to spray properly?

My 931 injectors started spraying properly at 30 PSI, bang on.
Old 10-24-2002, 05:58 PM
John..
Three Wheelin'

My experience with the digital injectors was that the pattern starts to use atomization at about 28 psig. I am not sure on the CIS injectors

Quick Reply: Testing and Cleaning Injectors at home!!!!