Notices

Help with sales tax info: resale in CA

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 10:17 PM
86NOH2O
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Help with sales tax info: resale in CA

I may purchase a 911 from out of state. I am in CA. If I am not happy with the car when it's delivered can I resell it without paying CA sales tax? I have one nice 911 and don't want to get stuck with the tax on this new/used 911 if I decide not to keep it.

thanks,
Old 10-15-2002, 10:54 PM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe, but only if you don't register it in California. My guess is that even if you manage to get title transferred to you out of state without anybody getting a hint you live in Calif, you will be found out when your new buyer tries to take title. And that's assuming the other state doesn't have the same tax scheme.

OR

You can open a dealership and get a tax number.

Let us know if you come up with a way.
Old 10-16-2002, 04:01 AM
Jessa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by pig4bill:
<strong>My guess is that even if you manage to get title transferred to you out of state without anybody getting a hint you live in Calif, you will be found out when your new buyer tries to take title.
</strong><hr></blockquote>

I just found out the hard way that the new/current owner of a vehicle is responsible for registration late fees. So, if the PO let it lapse, he isn't held accountable by the state at all. Maybe the tax works in a simmilar way? Worth checking.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:46 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Depends on the DOT, MVD, etc. I used to buy and sell cars sometimes and not write in my name on the title. This way, when I sold it, I wrote the new owners name on it. This was many years ago though...

Jim
Old 10-17-2002, 01:28 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

In Calif I think you have to pay the tax when you register it. Maybe you could get away with not registering it for awhile. Somehow I suspect one would eventually run into trouble trying to sell a car that's not registered to him.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:01 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Cool

If it is similiar to NY, the answer is yes you can probably do it w/o double tax, but it is mroe than likely illegal unless you are a registered motor vehicle dealer

Quick Reply: Help with sales tax info: resale in CA