Notices

Towing cross-country on a flatbed

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Rennthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing cross-country on a flatbed

I’m out of options; I have to transport my 6GT3 across the country in January on a flatbed trailer. The 1700 mile journey starts in the Pacific Northwest and goes over a couple passes where I’ll undoubtedly meet snow, rocks, and salted roads and ends in the Midwest. Please observe a 5 second silence in honor of my paint job… thank you.

The tow vehicle has flaps behind the rear tires, I’m going to purchase a tow skirt to help protect against other misc. objects that the Yukon can send airborne. The front of the trailer will be fitted with a custom wall (for lack of a better word?) that will wrap around the sides for a few feet back.

I'd like to wrap the car for the final layer of protection. I’ve heard and read suggestions ranging from contacting a boat dealership to secure the industrial white shrink wrap they use to transport new boats, to Home Depot plastic wrap. The main purpose would be to protect the car against the elements.

Anyone have good/bad experience with this kind of thing? Surely I can’t be the only unfortunate soul that has limited transport options… Thanks in advance!
Old 01-27-2012, 07:48 AM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to get this http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/road-wrap.html.
Easy on, easy off.

Marine grade storage wrap I think is overkill and will cost you 10X as much have done properly. Other than enclosing the car, you will get some of Mother Nature on her, so give her a good underside when you clean her up after the trip.

Good luck in your travels.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:51 PM
Rennthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is excellent! I actually broke down and bought an enclosed trailer, but I'm going to look into this for track days. A lot easier to pull off the wrap then scrub out bugs/rubber. Thanks again.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:34 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CWRS60Spyder
You need to get this http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/road-wrap.html.
Easy on, easy off.

Marine grade storage wrap I think is overkill and will cost you 10X as much have done properly. Other than enclosing the car, you will get some of Mother Nature on her, so give her a good underside when you clean her up after the trip.

Good luck in your travels.
If you used this - is there any residue after removing it after it was on car for a day or two, even in the sun?
Old 02-02-2012, 03:17 PM
Steve Jensen
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What you *don't* want is anything that will flap in the wind. A little dust, sand, etc. between it and your car and you'll scuff/buff/scrape a spot into it...

Quick Reply: Towing cross-country on a flatbed