Notices

Your Porsche Story

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Jakkq
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your Porsche Story

How did "Porsche" enter your life? Please share your story here!

About 4 years ago from today I would have been around the age of 18. I would say that I was not a car guy, and I knew next to nothing about cars. Although I was already 18 and still did not own a car, I had been looking a long time for a car that I would actually like to drive, rather than just any car that would fit my budget. Nothing ever came across my path that I was able to afford, and that I liked at the same time...

Then one day I saw it... Sitting in a parking stall near a gas station with a "For Sale" sign. The Porsche 924. I immediately fell in love with it. I knew right then and there that it was the car I needed. I walked up to the car wondering what the hell it was, and saw the badge on the rear. I was astonished when I saw the $3,500 price tag. I called the owner, and the next day my dad took me to the house where the owner had brought it.

The interior was shot and dusty, as the owner had left it in storage for 10 years. The car was indeed a 5-speed, and although I had no idea how to drive stick, I still wanted it. Everyone was telling me not to get such an old car, find something newer. They really had no idea. My dad drove my to work in it and before he could even ask "Are you sure this is something you want?", I said "Yes!".

My dad talked the guy down to $3,000 and it was waiting for me when I arrived at home. I fell asleep in the car cleaning it up that night. The next day learned how to drive the 5-speed in a matter of 4 hours. It all came pretty natural to me, and I didn't even kill it until I got out on the open roads.

About a month later the clutch cable broke, and I had it towed in for a fix. I got a good sized bill back, but was at least glad the issue was resolved. Then came more problems, but after these were resolved, I drove the car for almost a year without another issue appearing. When it came around for more issues to present themselves, I knew I couldn't take it in for another big bill.

I decided it was time to begin learning about the car. I had found 924board.org back in September 2008, and had been posting there for awhile, but after asking for some help on replacing wheel cylinders, clutch etc. Some guys from the board, about 2 hours away, came up and took a look at it.

I had really enjoyed working on the interior and bringing it back to life, but had never really messed with anything mechanical yet. I ended up driving it down to the house of one of the guys that had taken a look at the 924. A bunch of other guys showed up in their 924s' and we had a big wrenching party, replacing my clutch etc. It was here that I realized how much I loved working on these things.

Although the car showed a lot of problems, and my parents yelling at me to get something reliable, I knew all too well that I couldn't do that. I would do whatever it took to keep her going.

I learned A LOT through 2 years of owning it, and I became OBSESSED with everything Porsche related. I had never been so excited about anything before, than something "Porsche".

Around November 2009 I picked up my next Porsche! A 1982 928S, for around $3,400. I still own both Porsches to this day, and have continued to work on them and keep them running. I just started my first year of Automotive Technology about 2 months ago and am really enjoying it, and not too long from now will be sent out for my first mechanic job search!

All in all, I am very glad that fate brought me to the realization that Porsche was my calling, and I hope to one day soon have a chance to work on many more of them, and learn everything I can "Porsche" related.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:25 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice story.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:38 AM
Hangwind
6th Gear

Yes, I enjoyed it as well.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:18 PM
uschoice
Rennlist Member

Good story. Kinda like remembering your first girlfriend.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:29 AM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello everyone,
Here is my Porsche story, Below is what I posted after I had just bought my 996GT3 and joined this forum not long ago. Thought it would also qualify as my Porsche story as well.

Where to begin my introduction, we will go way back.

My Porsche tenure, the first car that I rode in when leaving the hospital when I was born was a 69' 911 S. My father was a Porsche nut from the early 911 days which pretty much meant that I was destined to follow in his footsteps.

Most of my life my father always had a 911 or 930 in his garage. Some of my fondest young memories were riding with my father on our Sunday (all day) drives in one of his 911's with the radio blaring the Doobie Brothers or Paul McCartney and Wings. Makes me smile just thinking about those days.

When I got older and was ready to start driving, naturally I wanted a Porsche 911 of my own. Besides not having the funds, my father advised that you must first walk before you run.

So, my education of rear engine cars began with a 73' VW Beetle Convert. The freedom was thoroughly enjoyed and my independence and my eyes were opened to the working world. I would scrape, scrounge and save where eventually I found myself driving a 63'
Porsche 356B. Loved every mile behind the wheel of that car and it led me to my 72' 911t Targa. I put almost 100,000 wonderful miles on the car after purchase. Eventually I bought an 85' 911 Carrera from my father that I enjoyed for years up until I was about to get married and ultimately start a family. I sold that car back in 2000 and have not owned a 911 since.

You know how it is, marriage, work, kids, new business, house remodel, etc. For some reason there was always a reason why the
next 911 would never make it back into my garage, which leads me to today. Sure I had other interesting cars along the way but nothing quite touched my soul like the 911 did.

Now Today, I have finally come to the realization that I have to have another 911, I must pass this legacy on to my sons. For I have accrued some of my lifes best memories in a 911 and plan on making new great memories in the future.

The plan is to use the car as weekend car while getting her fit for track duty, will need to source a roll bar, seats and harnesses, amongst many other suspension parts. I have read alot about many different suspension set-ups within this forum so I will need to do more research on what will fit my mission best.

Anyway, Apologies to all for I have gotten pretty long winded with my first post but I am just very excited to be back in the Porsche family.

Hello All!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-31-2011, 09:32 PM
CrashTest
Track Day

My Porsche story isn't quite the normal one. I grew up in a Ferrari household. I learned to drive stick in a 308. I've been lucky enough to be around a lot of nice cars my whole life. I've been going up to Road America since I was twelve and have been driving the track since I was seventeen. I've experienced a lot of amazing machinery. I've always admired Porsches, and have a special love for the old-school turbo cars. Watching a 935 blast towards corner 5 this summer never got old.

I've been working my way up the automotive food chain, if you will, for a while. There are just so many cars I want to experience that I can't keep anything forever. I don't have any particular brand loyalty so I have no issue jumping around. I worked through most of the Japanese stuff, RX7, MR2, WRX, etc. I made the jump to truly foolish things earlier this year with an M5. Fantastic car, very livable, and that S38 motor was to die for. I had to part with it for some personal reasons and later began a hunt for an early NSX. Turns out my budget forced me to look at the scruffy cars at the bottom of the market and I wasn't comfortable with that.

I started looking at 996s, which I've shopped before, and was surprised at the market. After sifting the truth out of the IMS scares, I decided a 996 would be a better choice for me, right now, than an NSX. I drove one and was very impressed. It was a convertible, which I don't much care for, so I began searching for a nice coupe. I found a high-mileage 03 that checked out, was cleaned and cared for, and bought it sight unseen! I was understandably nervous when it got delivered but it was everything I hoped for. I love it, the obnoxious tomato soup red and the almost-mustard interior.

It's been great experiencing first-hand all the 911-isms I've heard about at track days all these years: the communicative steering, the faultless brakes, and unique roar of the flat six. Sadly I won't get it to the track this season but I can't wait to exercise it next spring! I've been taking a lot of (good-natured) flak from my father and sister over my P-car purchase but I really like the car. It's a superb machine and an exceptional everyday sportscar. I also have a sneaking suspicion that I can keep up with the old man's F355 as well. We'll see...

Quick Reply: Your Porsche Story