Notices

Opinions wanted.. Thinking of selling my stock portfolio for cash / Budget Crisis

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 03:12 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Opinions wanted.. Thinking of selling my stock portfolio for cash / Budget Crisis

Any ideas? I'm thinking of liquidating for a month or so until this budget thing gets solved... Anybody else done this? Just get out of the market for a while.. keep it in cash and wait.. If we do get downgraded, (which I sorta think will happen..) I'm just not ready for a 30% drop in holding value.. I could move it to other markets/ ETF's, but markets are so interconnected, the whole thing will dip... Then again, fees, and selling costs may make it not worth it either.. hmm.. Currently I'm up quite a bit..
Old 07-31-2011, 12:38 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Short answer to an important question:

I think that such decisions (i.e. , jumping in or jumping out) are based on the seller's presumed predictive abilities and a belief that "timing the market" can be a successful strategy. Unfortunately, getting out of the market means that the seller will likely miss much of a recovery when it happens.

Your overall portfolio allocation should be guided by such factors as your age, long-term goals, tolerance for risk, industry outlook, etc., which are more critical to your overall success.

Good luck to you.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:58 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Coleman,

VGM, is absolutely correct. I've been in Brokerage/Banking for over 20 years, trading equities, options, bonds, funds, working in ops, sales, transaction services etc. Investors should be guided by overall portfolio strategy, LT objectives, tax-status, risk-tolerance etc., rather than motivated by fear or short-term market factors. I would talk to a qualified financial advisor and really drill down on your current asset allocation, strategy, goals etc.

As for switching allocation into other ETF's, obviously you have enormous choice; equity funds, bond funds, precious metals, etc., etc...all sensitive to different economic and market factors. You also have many ways to hedge, protect and leverage your positions in times of uncertainty that 'might' be worth discussing with your advisor (who should be calling you often during these stormy times! )

All the usual disclaimers apply...this is not advice or a recommendation, etc, etc, etc....

Cheers,

--H

(PS. I had lunch with a fund wholesaler the other day and they have a really interesting product you might want to talk to your FA about - PM me if you'd like me to send you the information)

Quick Reply: Opinions wanted.. Thinking of selling my stock portfolio for cash / Budget Crisis