Notices

So what to YOU do for a living ????

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 01:10 PM
meech
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So what to YOU do for a living ????

Yes folks......this is my first post.

I've been lurking on this incredible site for a few years now in anticipation of my first Porsche. I'm 33 years old and I've been dreaming of owning a 911 since the dya I saw/heard an Arena Red whale-tail Turbo cruise in front of me as I was about to cross the street (late 90's). I had THAT moment when I said to myself........."I WILL own a Porsche 911 one day" !!!!! My career is finally starting to take off as I've just gotten my Customs Brokerage license. As I've lurked on this site for the past few years....it's always amazed me how many of you guys and gals can afford these wonderful Porsche vehicles. It got me thinking........."I wonder what type of work do Porsche owners do for a living".

So...............what do YOU do for a living and how long did you actually want a Porsche before you bought your first one?

Last edited by meech; 07-23-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:22 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Used Porsches can be quite affordable. Consider your resources, and then make a "new/used" decision.

What we do for a living is not as important as figuring out what you can afford, regardless of your job and your income. Your other commitments (such as school loans, family, children, mortgage, etc) naturally play a key part in making a decision to acquire a Porsche or any car.

Your question comes up from time to time, and the variety of jobs and income is as varied as the number of respondants.

Good luck to you in your deliberations. Check the internet for used car pricing, and you'll begin to get a feel for what's out there that you can afford.

Let us know what you buy.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:30 PM
sandersd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VGM911
Used Porsches can be quite affordable. Consider your resources, and then make a "new/used" decision.

What we do for a living is not as important as figuring out what you can afford, regardless of your job and your income. Your other commitments (such as school loans, family, children, mortgage, etc) naturally play a key part in making a decision to acquire a Porsche or any car.

Your question comes up from time to time, and the variety of jobs and income is as varied as the number of respondants.

Good luck to you in your deliberations. Check the internet for used car pricing, and you'll begin to get a feel for what's out there that you can afford.

Let us know what you buy.
I don't think that's what he's asking VG.

As for me, I'm a structural designer for oil and gas engineering companies. I do 3d modeling of structural steel and concrete for construction of refineries and chemical plants. We basically build the entire facility in the virtual world, then produce the construction drawings to actually build it. Mostly now I model and check what the youngsters do.

I've loved the 911 since I was a kid and never dreamed I'd own one till I drove a turbo MINI for a couple of years and wanted more power. I looked into older 911s and 993s but was surprised that 996s were so cheap. I traded the 07 MINI for an 02 996 with 44k miles - cost me 28k minus my trade.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Jordache183
Intermediate

I do monitoring for clinical trials. Like you have I always dreamed of a 911. a 993TT is my dream car. Although I could probably buy a good used one now, I know that it would be really hard for me to pay for all maintenance and fix any issues. There is no way I want to be one of those guys who buys one and then runs it into the ground. One day though, one day....

So, I decided to buy a 951 instead for now. Its no 911 but its is really fun to drive and much cheaper to upkeep.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:10 PM
Sumflow
Instructor

Location: Hawaii ~ The driver smiled, when he lost the car in pursuit..
Lightbulb

You might want to open these in tabs; this REPORT has been floating around here for a while. You might also view the thread - Which Porsche personality type are you?
Originally Posted by meech
I wonder what type of work do Porsche owners do for a living?
The report indicated that the typical Porsche owner is a 40-something male college graduate earning over $200,000 per year.
So...............what do YOU do for a living?
We all make the sacrifices that are necessary. When I bought my first Porsche car I had just retired from professional sports car driving. I could see that to continue driving at that time a driver would have to go to Nascar for the money. The Oval circus is not exactly the Targa Florio I had in mind.
how long did you actually want a Porsche before you bought your first one?
I wanted a Ferrari, I wanted a Lotus, this week I like the McLaren. It seems to me to be a generic sports car. With all the people pampering Porsches through depreciation, there are just to many great values around to pass them all up. I buy Porsche because it is clearly the best value for the money, just ahead of Corvette in the super-car market. I don't think I actually wanted a Porsche until afterI drove mine cross country.

I have met two kinds of Porsche owners. Some scare them selves, and might keep their cars locked up for four months a year. And the others get adequate training and drive there Porsches for what they were designed to do, all year around. To get the most out of your car and drive as fast, and safety as possible. As soon as you can afford it, go to a Porsche Drivers school. Don't drive scared.

This may also bear the question beneath the question: Driving raises testosterone levels
Old 08-15-2011, 08:05 AM
sandersd
Pro

Originally Posted by Sumflow
The report indicated that the typical Porsche owner is a 40-something male college graduate earning over $200,000 per year.
I wish I was one of those guys...
Old 08-15-2011, 08:21 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm a software engineer for a company that works with setting prices for pharmacy's(HBC items and drugs). I make nowhere near $200k a year. I also have a child that I'm saving $ for college. I have a lot of other expenses that take a toll on my income. I've found my 993 to be extremely reliable and not much for maintenance costs. I do all the work myself. I think if you are a little mechanically inclined, the costs can be contained. This vehicle is also not a daily driver so I have the added benefit of not having pressure if it doesn't have to be driven.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:39 PM
Sumflow
Instructor

Location: Hawaii ~ The driver smiled, when he lost the car in pursuit..
Lightbulb Driving time

Originally Posted by sandersd
I wish I was one of those guys...
There was this software company in Silicone Valley. In the early morning I would see this Porsche parked in the lot with one or two other cars. The lot would fill up, hundreds of cars, and later empty. The Porsche would still be unmoved, in its spot. What does this tell you?

The person who in this case wanted a Porsche, could afford a Porsche, then went out and got a Porsche, had no time to, “drive,” the Porsche.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:57 PM
Medski
Instructor

I'm a Special FX Artist Video Game develloper at Ubisoft. Currently working on the Assassin's Creed franchise. I create digital assets for in game uses like fire, smoke, water and any other dynamic stuff. Gameplay or Environment FX. I'm currently just under $60k a year, 27 years old.

I'm in the phase of the getting informed, learning what I'm about to get into. I'm looking to get my first 951 somewhere in the next year or the one after.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:54 AM
sandersd
Pro

Originally Posted by Medski
I'm a Special FX Artist Video Game develloper at Ubisoft. Currently working on the Assassin's Creed franchise. I create digital assets for in game uses like fire, smoke, water and any other dynamic stuff. Gameplay or Environment FX. I'm currently just under $60k a year, 27 years old.

I'm in the phase of the getting informed, learning what I'm about to get into. I'm looking to get my first 951 somewhere in the next year or the one after.
Cool! My son attends U of H (junior) with a dual major in game development and computer science. Timegate is just down the street from our house and he's hoping to get an internship there.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:21 AM
Medski
Instructor

Neat! How is it living down there? I don't think I could say no if I'd have an opportunity to work where there is no winter.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:09 PM
ohdavey6286
Pro

25yo Stock broker. I currently have a 996 and I grew up with them all of my life so I would say I have wanted one since I was a young child.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:45 PM
sandersd
Pro

Originally Posted by Medski
Neat! How is it living down there? I don't think I could say no if I'd have an opportunity to work where there is no winter.
Well it been over 100 degrees for most of the summer. Winter is the nicest time of year. It turns cold occasionally and rains but most of the time it's comfortable.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:03 PM
dsowen
Advanced

47 y.o. philosophy professor. I've wanted a 911 since going to PCA events with a family friend when I was a teenager. Bought myself a 996 once I earned tenure. Went with a 996 because I wanted more of a daily driver than the occasional toy and the prices were too good to pass up.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:42 AM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just turned 24 and own a 996 C4S, Used to work in the oil field which is where I got the idea to get my porsche (seeing them being winter tested in yellowknife), made some decent money invested it wisely. I have money in the market, I own and manage some rental properties, own a oil field software and consulting company, and now own a tire and mechanical shop with a couple cousins. A pretty diversified source of income that at this point requires next to no time commitment which is nice since I am going to University again and expecting to become a father in the next few months

Quick Reply: So what to YOU do for a living ????