Notices

PPI Shops, Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 03:11 PM
cwalvoord
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPI Shops, Dealer?

Does Rennlist maintain a list of member suggested independent shops that do pre-purchase inspections? I am searching for a 993 cab or targa and have not found much in the Chicago area where I live so I am expanding geographically.

Also, I have found a few used 993s at Porsche dealers - what do people think about taking a dealer car to another shop for a PPI? Is it necessary?

Thanks for your help.
Chris
Old 06-17-2011, 12:04 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Check the 993 forum, there is a lot of info there. When you find a car that is out of area, do a search/ask about shops around the car for a PPI. Personally, I would still get an independent PPI on a dealer car.

Good luck with the search--take your time and enjoy it!
Old 05-28-2012, 03:25 PM
Kevinjgould
4th Gear

I recently had a bad experience with a PPI. I paid a dealer in North Carolina over $600 for a PPI that included a cylinder leak down test. I ended up buying the car sight unseen based on the clean PPI. Long story short, 3 days after I got the car it was in the shop getting a new clutch, a new engine main electrical harness, plug wires, rear bumper brackets (rusted completely off), air pump, and more. I should get the car back this week and will share more when I have all the details. But at a minimum, the PPI should have turned up the bad clutch, the rusted off bumper brackets, and the bad plug wires. Pictures to follow.

Quick Reply: PPI Shops, Dealer?