Notices

White smoke + heat light flashing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 12:37 AM
crazyboy
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White smoke + heat light flashing?

Hi!

In august 2011 I got the car of my dreams, a well maintained Boxster S 2001 with 76 000km. About 3 weeks ago I got a little too excited and raced this sports bike, unfortunately I shifted a little late, gear 1, 2 and perhaps 3 red lined for a couple of seconds..

I have since taken it real smooth with the car and given up on becoming a race car driver.. I noticed white smoke from exhaust system when I start the car (i only take the car out on the week ends when it doesn't rain), the smoke goes away after a few seconds, I did notice what smelled like burned brake pads the last couple of times driving, but I had not used excessive braking, leaning down the brakes did not smell, but smell was coming from around the exhaust system..

Yesterday I noticed the light next to temperature gauge is flashing but temp is in the middle, so now I'm starting to freak out, I know nothing about mechanics so I'm worried if I blew a HG or damaged my engine during that race a few weeks ago..

Any suggestions?

PS. Car was taken to a reliable mechanic for maintenance in May, so I know oil and fluid levels should be up to par.

Thx
Old 06-07-2011, 08:54 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your owner's manual. I believe the blinking light that you're referring to is a warning light that activates to indicate a low coolant level.

Good luck.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:08 AM
crazyboy
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your reply! Went to my mechanic, by the time I got there we noticed a trail of coolant following the car, looks like the coolant container is broken

Is this a common problem with boxsters or did I brake it by falling into a pot hole?

Quick Reply: White smoke + heat light flashing?