Notices

Contemplating the purchase of a used Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 12:31 AM
sgtgeorge
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Contemplating the purchase of a used Porsche

Hello, I am new to this forum. I owned a 914 22 years ago. I sunk a lot of money into that car, but I loved it and hated to part with it. I am going to buy another Porsche within the next year. I thought about getting another 914 for nostalgic reasons, but decent condition 914's are few and far between, especially in the northeast. I thought about a 944, a 924S or a Boxster, but I want a reliable car that is easy on the wallet, and easy for the shade tree mechanic to repair. What are your thoughts?
Old 04-29-2011, 01:11 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I Love and Hate my 944! Mostly Love... The never-ending oil leaks is what i hate!

Anyway, 944s' can be fun, reliable,Oil leak free, and Easy on the wallet (if you avoid repair shops!) Parts are not really that expensive, and are readily available from several distributors.

Plus the 924/944/968 community is extremely active and helpful... It is common place most weekends for local 944 rennlisters to meet and help eachother with repairs.

If buying one: There are tons of these cars around. I would recommend a Late model 87'+. Make sure the are lots of maintenance records, and NO known issues. $5k will be you a really nice 944. Make sure there are no oil leaks; or you'll be in my hell. You need Timing Belt/Water pump records within 3 years and 30k miles; or you Need to replace these parts immediately after purchase.
Go up to the 924/944/968 forum for detailed advice or questions/ search old posts

IMO Boxsters are Nice, Faster, Newer, Tighter, and Better Sounding.. However they will cost you more(Purchase/Parts), They are not as easy to work on, They have no back seat and minimal storage space.

just my 2 cents
Old 04-29-2011, 02:23 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 171 Posts

If you liked the 914 then a Boxster or Boxster S will be a great follow up to that car. The S adds a little horsepower but even the base model has enough to be fun and both are outstanding in handling and day to day useability. No Porsche will be particularly easy oj the wallet but any 944/951/968 is from 17-28 years old and any Boxster is from 14 years old to current. Anything over ten years old is going to require regular "investments" above and beyond maintenance. It is better to locate a slightly more expensive enthusiast owned car than one owned by a more casual owner. If you have a basic tool set and rudimentary mechanical knowledge you should have no problem doing basic maintenance such as oil changes and brake jobs whch will save you a bundle. Whatever car you get, make sure you get a pre purchase inspection, hopefully by the mechanic you intend to use for repairs and maintenance you choose to not do yourself.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:47 AM
sgtgeorge
4th Gear

Thanks for the input so far. Obviously, I am not a wealthy man, especially with four children to raise. I owned the 914 in college, and it was a daily driver. Not the best choice, but it was a heck of a lot of fun. Mine was in decent shape with less than a 100K on the odo. As you could guess, a lot of things went and it was a costly vehicle to own. I love the marque and the quality and performance that the vehicles stand for. When I buy one, it will be a garage queen in the winter and rainy days, but I expect to put a least 4K mile a year on it. I am leaning towards the 924S or a 944 (convertible ), but finances and the wife always have the final say.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:01 AM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default Best you steer clear of any 924 model amigo!

Originally Posted by sgtgeorge
I love the marque and the quality and performance that the vehicles stand for. When I buy one, it will be a garage queen in the winter and rainy days, but I expect to put a least 4K mile a year on it. I am leaning towards the 924S or a 944 (convertible ), but finances and the wife always have the final say.
Procure yourself a solid late model 944 as advised by a previous poster. The turbo model would be even better. Normally aspirated 944 take awhile to get going from 0 - 40 mph... with all their weight and that 4-banger.

Best of luck in your search.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:07 AM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default You speak words of wisdom Yoda

Originally Posted by pnbell
You need Timing Belt/Water pump records within 3 years and 30k miles; or you NEED to replace these parts immediately after purchase.

just my 2 cents
My first brand new Porsche was a 944. It ATE it's fluid-filled motor mounts like peanuts.... and the timing belt snapped @ 38,000 miles. Back then PCNA were real Scheisdreck about it. Finally got reimbursed 7 months later.

Have fun.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:35 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Welcome Sgt! I wouldn't worry about 0 to whatever times. Most Porsches weren't built to be drag racers. But the S2 was still pretty quick. Even better, they make wonderful cars for fun, and very forgiving inexpensive track cars.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:12 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Miata is a darned fine car for a man with children.

Whatever kind of Porsche you intend to buy, do your homework and make sure you get a good one.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:35 PM
sgtgeorge
4th Gear

That's what I plan to do. I won't even go look at a car unless that are full service records maintained by the owner. Miatas look like a "fun" car, but they lack the R&D in the performance that Porsche puts into their cars. Japanese car builders put their R&D into marketing a package that appeals to a target group of consumers.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:37 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

I dont want to turn you off on this. These are fun cars. 944 and 951 etc.

But they are fairly expensive. They were expensive 25 years ago - and they are now.

They will cost you. They have to. These cars are only new once. And they were designed for performance. And maintenance. It's just true. But they are fun.

That's what I plan to do. I won't even go look at a car unless that are full service records maintained by the owner.
This is considerably harder to find than it sounds. Are they out there. Sure are. But hard to find considering that these are not the highest ranked Porsche enthusiast cars. I looked a long time. Go and chase up one of my posts last week in the Watercooled Forum to a guy looking a 968. I looked at a lot of cars. Most did not have complete records.

And it is a double edged sword. When you see what it cost to keep these cars up it can make you wonder.

Boxster - I cant say. But in general they are the same. You will pay more up front for a very good one.

Miata .... uhhh Ok.

Enjoy.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:42 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

I missed something. It is defintely not easy to repair. If that is the most important thing may I recommend an older Z car. Blashphemy on a Porsche site - but the older Zs have to be the easiest car ever to work on. You can get to everything on the car. And cheap-er too. But no Porsche.

I way over and above love the Porsche though. Just saying .......
Old 05-10-2011, 04:43 PM
ttreat
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

"Miatas look like a "fun" car, but they lack the R&D in the performance that Porsche puts into their cars. Japanese car builders put their R&D into marketing a package that appeals to a target group of consumers. "

Sorry but this is a very misinformed statement. Anyone that thinks the miata doesn't have the R&D for performance has likely never driven one and doesn't know their history. My 996 is much faster and much nicer than a miata but I will never diss' a miata (unless it is has an auto transmission).
Old 06-17-2011, 10:18 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on the Miata. In terms of inherent 'goodness' the first gen in particular is hard to beat. Tough, easy to work on, inexpensive, and very rewarding to drive. I put 100k turbocharged miles on mine and it still ran great when I sold it.

That said, it *never* gave me the visceral thrill I get from my 964.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:00 PM
Sumflow
Instructor

Location: Hawaii ~ The driver smiled, when he lost the car in pursuit..
Lightbulb Middie Driver

If you are moving up from mid-engined 914, look no further than a Boxster. Once you have lived with a middie you can never be satisfied with the engine in the wrong place.
I owned a 914 22 years ago.
I mean like how many people that you know have ever driven a mid-engine car for any length of time?

You can find early Boxster's that have not even been broken in yet for a song. The owners are afraid of them. You have not seen the lowest price you can pay, advertised. The deal is made and the ads are pulled immediately if not sooner. I missed one for $5,000.00 out of Los Angeles on Cars.com. All published prices are too high. When someone asks, and they will. Why you are buying a Porsche, just tell them that you have owned a Porsche before. That should shut them up quick. You have to wonder why they are selling? Tell them you are sorry for there loss.

I got my 914 in the North East and drove it across. Touched the Atlantic with my tires and ran it into the Pacific. I have not had the pleasure of driving a Boxster up there on snow & ice, but I sure would like the chance. And with the Boxster’s anti-lock brakes...

Porsche builds a much more durable car than they did up to about 1975. A car that lasted a few years then will go twenty-five now. Think of the true age in miles. Maintenance will be nothing with the few miles that you plan to drive it. There are scare stories all over, but I run mine a thousand miles a week at minimal expense. A ten-year-old Boxster will cost you less than your ten-year-old 914. The first car was absolutely perfect. The rest is like changing clothes on a manikin. As time went on they added a lot of junk, weight and unneeded power and braking, for purely marketing reasons. They did not improve on the basic car. Except for the clear rear window the rest is superficial. ZR 16” tires last a lot longer than you would image in street use. You will have to throw out your tires from old age with the way you use a car before they wear out from driving. Get the car aligned properly as soon as you get it so that it will perform as it should.

Call up some want ad and go scare the he*l out of some owner in a tight corner leading into a vacant straightaway. Porsche saved the company by going back to 550 Spyder - 914 roots with the original Boxster (986).

The convertible top is not as perfect as the Tara, but you can learn to get use to it. Nothing says racecar like roll bars. Almost anything you do to improve it will detract from it. Not as much room as the three seater 914.

The Boxster has a new ugly ***** like stick that is always in the way between the seats, it sucks. It stops on a dime, and handles in the neighborhood of what you will remember from the 914. The Boxster is a much heaver car and fells like you are driving a tank. More like a Mercedes 722 running the Mille Miglia than a featherweight LeMans endurance car like the 914. Because of the similarity to the new Boxster’s (987), I think people think it is a newer car. I never say. But you are looking at 95% of the car for 15% of the price.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sumflow; 06-17-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:34 PM
St3mpy
Instructor

Have you thought about a 3rd generation Toyota MR2 Spyder?

Quick Reply: Contemplating the purchase of a used Porsche