Notices

Are tracked cars good buys?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 11:14 PM
BrockGT2
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are tracked cars good buys?

Hello all, it's been quite some time since my last post. Your opinions are appreciated.

I'm looking to purchase a 1995 993 C2 coupe 60,000 miles, the car looks very nice and the pre-purchase inspection revealed very few issues. It has a Porsche performance exhaust system and a chip (not sure which type, does it matter?).

The one issue that has presented is that the car has been tracked, I have not had experience with track events and I'm not sure how this may or may not have affected the car.

The technician was quite impressed with the overall inspection and everything mechanically appears good.

Should this cause me to walk away or should I be asking specific detailed questions regarding this issue?

Thanks for you input,
Regards,
BrockGT2
Old 04-14-2010, 11:38 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Tracked cars are usually better maintained than the rest. Better yet if you know which club the owner ran with you can ask questions and find out if the car had been involved in a crash.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:56 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Occasional tracking with an instructor, or 8 events a year running solo in the fastest group? The first wouldn't bother me; the second probably would. You might look for signs of hard usage. Check the rotors for cracks, check the nose and windshield for pitting, check for harness mounting points, etc.

I bought a tracked and autocrossed Porsche in the past, but that was exactly how I intended to use it too. Eight years later, the previous owner bought it back.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:09 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Windshield pits are not only a sign of track. Just miles. Damn German glass is soft and p here I replace the windshield of my DD (not tracked) every couple of years. Grrrrr!
Old 04-15-2010, 01:39 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The difference is an often tracked car with 60k will have seen more use than non-tracked car with 60k on it. However it is possible the tracked car is in Better condition since it has more routine maintance. I know my race gets more mainteance than my street car. There are probalby more worn parts on my 140k street car than my unknow mileage race car with over 100 races on it.

That said tracking a car does put more wear on it so you shoud look over tracked car more closely just to understand how it has been run. Never assume the condition of car that has seen lots of track time.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:07 PM
BrockGT2
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your input on this issue. I believe that the pre-purchase inspection has been conducted by a reputable firm and feel more confident in their assessment as well as the opinions expressed here.

Another issue has reared its potentially ugly head... the technician indicated that the CEL did not light up at start-up, he suggested a faulty bulb or something more sinister.

I asked him to look further into this and today he reported to me that there appears NOT to be a provision for a CEL in this car, he said the "socket was blocked" and that this year (1995) 993 with the OBD1 system didn't have a CEL???

This didn't make sense to me so I called a friend at another Porsche dealership across town and he asked his 20 year tech who also drives a 993 and his opinion is "there should be a check engine light in this car"?

So, can anybody shed light on this issue for me, please?
Old 04-16-2010, 12:35 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
Occasional tracking with an instructor, or 8 events a year running solo in the fastest group?
This is really important.

A "street car" that the owner took to a few DEs to learn a bit more about his car is fine.

A car like mine, you shouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.

Every mile that a car is driven HARD on the track is equivalent to god knows how many miles on the street...25? 50? On a serious track car, every mechanical bit can become suspect. However, a car with very light track use, as Bob suggested, may simply indicate a particularly enthusiastic owner who could be more likely to maintain the car lovingly.

Quick Reply: Are tracked cars good buys?