Porsche Design Project - Student needs your feedback

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 02:14 PM
Marcus C.
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Design Project - Student needs your feedback

Hello everyone,

I am a final year Transportation-Design (Automotive-Design) student at Northumbria University (Newcastle upon Tyne, England), currently working on my final major project. For my final major project I am looking into designing a new Porsche model.

I grew up in Germany and my father always took me to motor shows when I was a kid. During that time I must have felt in love with Porsche because their timeless approach to design still fascinates me whenever I see a Porsche. Because I am passionate about Porsche, I chose to design one for my final major project.

For the success of my final major project it is vital that I gain an insight into Porsche’s market and deeper understanding of their enthusiasts, drivers and customers. I do not own or drive a Porsche myself, so your opinion as enthusiasts, drivers and customers is really important for me and the outcome of my project.

When I was in Germany over Christmas, I visited the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart and booked a private tour around the Museum. That really helped me understanding the history of Porsche.

At the moment, the findings of my research tell me, that there is a bit of a gap in Porsche’s market for a vehicle with mid-engine layout. When the production of the Carrera GT ended in 2006, there was no high-performance mid-engined Porsche anymore. What do you think about that theory?

From my visit at the Museum, I also learned that many important/image defining cars for Porsche were actually Spyders/Roadsters like the Porsche 356 ‘No1’ Roadster,356 Speedster, 550 Spyder or 718 RSK 60 Spyder. Therefore I am thinking of designing a 2-seater Spyder in mid-engine layout which will sit on top of the Boxster range (independent from the Boxster/Cayman) and to sit alongside the Porsche 911 motor sport models (GT3, GT3 RS, GT2).

There will be an end to the combustion engine soon and Dr.Ferdinand Porsche developed the first electric wheel-hub motor, so I am currently looking into making my Spyder concept electric, powered by four electric motors (all wheel drive).

I would like to ask you some general questions:

1) What do you think of alternative drive trains, especially electric drive trains?

2) Would you drive an electric Porsche?

3) What do you love about your Porsche?

4) What do you need in a Porsche - What makes a Porsche for you?

5) Where do you take your Porsche (which model), is it a daily driver?

6) How would you describe the ‘Porsche experience’ from your point of view?

What do you think about my idea in general?

Please feel free to give me as much input as possible - be it negative or positive, because your feedback means a lot for my project.

Really looking forward to your replies.

cheers

Marcus
Old 01-27-2010, 06:07 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

1) What do you think of alternative drive trains, especially electric drive trains? Nothing wrong with that if you can store batteries... currently battery technology is heavy and that takes away nimbleness... so think about that in the essence of a Porsche

2) Would you drive an electric Porsche?
If it has 300 miles autonomy at least and takes less than 5 minutes to charge....

3) What do you love about your Porsche?
The way that it interacts with the road and the pleasure it gives every time you look at it and get in it

4) What do you need in a Porsche - What makes a Porsche for you?
A LOT: design, technology, appeal, some exclusivity, ....

5) Where do you take your Porsche (which model), is it a daily driver?
Had 12... 8 road cars daily drivers including my wife's cayenne s and 4 race cars: 2 cups (993 and 996) and 2 RSR (964 and 996)

6) How would you describe the ‘Porsche experience’ from your point of view?
Pretty average these days... too many cars, no real resale value because too many, all about money for the company, less about sustainability of the clientele and heritage

I would try to be a bit more radical in the approach than 4 electric motors... which will be super heavy and will remove nimbleness... How about a super efficient small size turbo on the lightest of lightweight carbon chassis with super think skin - think a covered exo skelton?

Good luck!
Old 01-29-2010, 06:55 AM
Marcus C.
3rd Gear

Hello,
@Jean-Marc: Thank you very much for your reply.

I do understand your concerns about battery technology, I am aware of that fact that the infrastructure for electric or hydrogen powered vehicles is not there yet, neither is the technology mature enough yet to replace the traditional combustion engine.

I am not an engineer; I am designer with a basic understanding of how a car works. Obviously one of the key values of the Porsche brand is lightness, so a heavy battery pack and heavy wheel hub motors would destroy the Porsche essence because it would lead to a heavy vehicle. As I am doing a Porsche for the future, I can only assume that these components will get lighter as they will be more advanced. I am also thinking of making the concept rear wheel drive with only two electric motors.

As a design student, I am fascinated by the freedom and opportunities an electric powered layout/chassis could give me, therefore I am looking into electric drive trains. With most of the technology in the chassis, this layout could give me an opportunity to create something really radical and different. What I want to do is something which is really stripped down, very pure and raw, the essence of Porsche if you wish. I definitely do not want to design the next generation Boxster I want to create something independent and different.

My universal selling point will not be the electric wheel hub motors, it will be the freedom of form finding that will arise from it.

I think you are absolutely right about the fact that I need to be radical in my design approach and the exo skeleton is a very good hint, thank you for that.

Your post did give me an insight what a Porsche should be, thanks for that.

I would really appreciate it, if more of you would reply and tell me what you think, every opinion counts – it can only be positive for the outcome of my project!

Looking forward to read more from you guys!

Marcus
Old 01-29-2010, 11:18 AM
Marcus C.
3rd Gear

Hello,

@Jean-Marc: Just one more questiong according to my question Nr.6 -
"too many cars, no real resale value because too many, all about money for the company, less about sustainability of the clientele and heritage"
When I was a kid, Porsche always claimed, that they are the 'only sports car manufacturer on the market' but now they do an SUV and even a saloon car. Do you think that Porsche have gone a bit soft? Are they even seeling out a bit?

Thanks a lot.

Marcus
Old 01-31-2010, 08:55 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting question. At the end of the day, money talks. Porsche saw the Cayenne as the way to increase profit - and hit the nail on the head! So you can't say that they made a bad call. The only thing is that this dilutes the brand essence. Over time, you ALWAYS end up paying for that with the people who were the most loyal and got the deals done going away to something else (e.g. me going to Ferrari).
All in all, you have to agree that it's a pretty well run company though and the decisions have been pretty good - I'm still looking at Porsches...

Quick Reply: Porsche Design Project - Student needs your feedback