Notices

Volkswagen Begins to Map the Future for the House of Porsche...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009 | 11:08 AM
RSA333
Racer

Default Volkswagen Begins to Map the Future for the House of Porsche...

Some excerpts, and more information on model launch dates from VW..

(December 2009)

"...Currently, Porsche is selling about 75,000 units per annum. Instead of the incremental addition of model variants as in previous years, the new VW bosses are demanding that several new Porsche models enter production in a short three-year span. Eventually, the new bosses are pushing for Porsche to sell 150,000 vehicles annually.

Here is Winterkorn’s take on Porsche’s product line: The slow, evolutionary steps of the 911 have been too small. The Cayenne, even in its second generation, is still too heavy, thirsty, and not innovative enough. The Boxster and the Cayman don’t sell in great enough numbers, and the new Panamera is too big and heavy. Above all, the Panamera’s chassis is used only for a single model today, which is not as profitable as it could be.

What to do?

Two words: platform sharing. Volkswagen has shown that its engineers and designers are capable of creating unique character out of careful modifications to a single platform. The Audi TT and the VW Golf come to mind. Their driving characteristics, packaging, design, equipment, and appeal are different enough that customers may not suspect that the two cars have a lot in common. The platform-sharing strategy has worked for the group’s volume brands: Audi, SEAT, Skoda, and Volkswagen. In the future, platform sharing will be applied among the group’s premium brands: Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, and Porsche.

...2013 PORSCHE CARRERA GT: Piëch’s influence at Porsche will accelerate the development of the Carrera GT’s successor. Fuel-efficiency concerns will likely make the new car’s engine a 650-hp twin-turbo V-8. Lightweight composites will help bring the curb weight down to 2500 pounds.

...911: Perhaps the most difficult question surrounds the future of the iconic Porsche two-door. Today, the 911 comes in 14 different flavors, but since the 911’s engine went water cooled in 1998, the changes between one generation and the next have been kept small to ensure the happiness of 911 loyalists. But Winterkorn’s intentions are now to change the 911 more extensively by implementing new technologies faster—just don’t expect the 911 exterior design to change dramatically. These new technologies will likely include the use of more lightweight components and more innovative engine and electronic technologies. For example, ultralight fiber-optic electrical architecture would shed pounds off the current car’s wiring harness, while a race-derived sequential gearbox would find its way into sporty versions (the 911 GT2 and GT3). Under VW’s guidance, the 911 could become a leader in innovative technology—and that’s what Porsche devotee Piëch wants to see. ..."

"..accelerated launch dates: (only GT2, GT3/Carrera GT models) - 2012: 991 GT2 with sequential shifter; 2013: 991 GT3 with sequential shifter and carbon composite body panels; 2013: Carrera GT, 650 bhp at 2500lbs..."
Old 12-26-2009 | 04:22 PM
blitz928
Race Car

Good, should be interesting to see the synergy of these companies working together.
Old 12-28-2009 | 11:44 PM
BigLou
Burning Brakes

Interesting. I hope they don't mess too many things up.
Old 12-30-2009 | 09:16 PM
dadc4s
Instructor

I had read somewhere that the Panamera may be canceled soon as it does not fit the VW platform sharing ethos. If so, this could be a real collector's item as the last car fully conceived and built by an independent Porsche with a limited production run....
Old 01-11-2010 | 01:53 PM
Rojerlockless
Track Day

Sounds good to me
Old 01-12-2010 | 01:41 PM
M758
Race Director

The last time Piech had control at Porsche he created the 906, 910, 908 and 917.
This could be a very good sign. However I am not quite ready jump up and down.
Old 01-15-2010 | 11:11 AM
Shaun Leahy
Advanced

Piech was an engineering genius but was a feared master to the desgners of the 917 when they changed the design away form pure low drag in 1969/70.

However he has changed: I recall he was involved in the VW chaos about a decade ago which included hiring women from the oldest profession on VW company time. Shame on me the way certain things stick in the memory
Old 01-16-2010 | 09:43 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

I see a big problem with VW aiming for 150K Porsche cars per year. The top echelon is very crowded with Aston Martin, Audi R8 and now Corvette ZR1 taking slices from Porsche's target 911 market. Plus with the economy likely to be a drag on sales for several years this will be tough. Perhaps 500 ($400K) Carrera GT type cars per year are possible, Maybe 2000 GT2 level ($200K) cars annually, another 3000 GT3 and GT3 RS models, If they kill the Cayenne (30-40K cars year) and the Panamera that will be alot of boxster/caymans and 911s to fill the 110K gap. They have sold maybe 35K cars combined in recent good years. Maybe the new low end (sub-Boxster) roadster is where they are thinking the huge new numbers will come from. While the 996/Boxster added many new buyers into the Porsche fold it didn't do us any favors with recent year Porsches now exhibiting Mercedes level depreciation rates. I think many of their core customers (me included) are looking at the depreciation rates and thinking that similarly priced older Porsches (i.e., 356 Speedster), true race cars for track junkies (996/997 Cup) and other brand classic and vintage cars are just as much fun for occasional use and a much better investment. I bought 4 Porsches between 2000 and 2005 and none since. I own two now and the new replacement cost gap for my 24K mile 2004 GT3 is maybe $80k. I think I will be keeping it for a long time.

Quick Reply: Volkswagen Begins to Map the Future for the House of Porsche...