Notices

WTB a 997. Where to find them for sale?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009 | 12:40 AM
Johnny Ace
4th Gear

Default WTB a 997. Where to find them for sale?

What's the best foum or website to find pre-owned 997s? Ebay, Autotrader, Dealers?

I'm new to Porsches and Rennlist (first post). I've looked at the above sources, but wondering if I'm missing out on something.

Thanks.

PS: I'm a Corvette owner looking for a change of pace.
Old 12-20-2009 | 07:27 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Welcome.
(Paying) members of Rennlist are allowed to post cars for sale/cars wanted in the Members to Members classifieds. You will sometimes find excellent cars from reputable members who might be upgrading to a different model, etc. There are usually far fewer issues when buying a car from someone that is well known/respected.

PCA Mart (online at www.pca.org or at the back of Panorama magazine every month) is another excellent resource. Yes, you have to actually own a Porsche (well, actually have have a VIN#), but PCA does have a program that allows non PCA members to search for cars without being a member:
http://pca.org/Membership/PCAQuest.aspx

Next would be at the Porsche Certified Pre Owned section of the Porsche.com website.
You can search for model, year, color, options, distance, etc and get hits returned from dealers offering CPO and non CPO certified cars. The CPO warranty usually raises the cost about 1-2K, but it generally considered well worth it, since it is not an aftermarket warranty; it is simply a different Porsche warranty.

In the meantime, I would spend sometime in the 997 forums (and the rest of Rennlist) and don't hesitate to ask questions.

BTW, you will get some "ribbing" about being a Corvette owner, but since it's a Porsche website (actually the #1 Porsche site on the web), it's all in good fun and shouldn't be a surprise.
Old 12-20-2009 | 11:45 PM
Johnny Ace
4th Gear

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
Old 12-25-2009 | 09:30 AM
farfinator
Intermediate

Default PPI

No matter where you look and no matter what you find, be certain to invest some time and money into a proper pre-purchase inspection. I can't emphasize enough the importance and value. Wherever you locate a promising car, ask in these forums or of the PCA Tech Chair of the Region (who is listed on PCA.org) where to have a proper evaluation done.
Make no mistake, if is perfectly plausible to find a 5k mi 997 that suffered a completely undocumented $15K track nightmare, that on the surface looks like a steal.
Make sure the inspection includes taping the car's computer for codes and any history of overev's etc. in addition to the more routine inspection. It would also be prudent to make certain of the status of the warranty. Do not assume the car because of its age and or mileage does not have a tainted warranty.
It short, be smart and thorough.
Old 12-26-2009 | 05:06 PM
Johnny Ace
4th Gear

Thanks for the advice!
Old 02-08-2010 | 07:58 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Pelican Parts is also a good place to look for a used Porsche, but I have to say that most of the used late model cars are probably still being circulated at the dealerships, as very few are offered around on these sites.

Certified is a very good way to go.

Quick Reply: WTB a 997. Where to find them for sale?