Notices

Motorcycle vs Car shifting comparison

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 01:31 PM
alan t
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorcycle vs Car shifting comparison

So I've been riding motorcycles for a little while now, and I wonder which of these aspects of shifting transfer over to cars.
-I've been told to pull the clutch lever with two fingers, and have the other two underneath the lever. This way, when starting from a stop, the clutch lever isn't fully pulled and will catch on sooner when letting go. It helps a lot. This means when shifting gears, the lever also isn't fully depressed. I always just assumed I should fully press the clutch pedal in cars when shifting. How does everybody here do this driving on the street and on the track? I've heard motorcycles riders on the track don't even pull the clutch lever when speed shifting at full throttle.
-Second, I've also been told to put pressure on the shifter (left foot pulling the shifter up) before pulling the clutch lever and rolling off the throttle only 1/4 of the way. Putting just enough pressure not to change gears before pulling the clutch is supposed to make shifting smoother, and it makes a really big difference. Again, anybody to this in their cars street or track?
I have no track experience, so sorry if this is common knowledge.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:39 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Motorcycles are "sequential" shifters. They don't have synchros (to my knowledge). A car transmission has synchros.. and a clutch.. and takes significantly longer to move the shifter from gear to gear than a tug with your toe. Keeping your hand (and under weight/pressure) on the shifter can introduce wear into the car.

I would also not recommend using your "fingers" on the clutch in your car

I guess what I am saying is they are not alike in action at all... unless your car has a racing sequential gearbox.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle vs Car shifting comparison