Notices

A pre 356 version from VW?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 02:49 PM
BlackAddr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A pre 356 version from VW?

I picked up a couple of old "Popular Science" magazines yesterday and I just started getting into the first one when I found this shot. I found it pretty interesting as I always knew there was some kind of a link between VW and Porsche (Now more then ever. lol) , but I found this photo very interesting. The issue of Popular Science I found this picture in is from 1954, (As you can see at the bottom of the picture.)

It looks as if it is a pre-356/pre Kharman Ghia?

Enjoy and I am curious to know if anyone has anymore details on this vehicle?
Attached Images  
Old 08-08-2009, 03:25 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 356 was out years before this photo. The car looks mid-engined. Nothing here that Dr. Porsche had not already done in the late 40s with off-the-shelf VW parts - which is all the first Porsche cars were.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:08 PM
BlackAddr
Advanced

Whalebird, thanks for that information. For some reason I was thinking that the 356 was designed and came out shortly after this design. I appreciate you sharing that bit of info with myself and the group. When I found it in the old Popular Science from 1954 I was pretty impressed with the whole idea and the idea that there was a possible precurser to the 356. I will have to do a little more homework and figure out more information from the 1950's and Porsche.

I still find this little car quite interesting, and still a little expensive for that time frame. Do you happen to know anything about the particular model, it is something that was made for a while, or was it a "test" model that VW came out with?

Could you share any links that may help with some information on this car?
Old 08-11-2009, 12:20 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there is a ton of historical referances to Porsche and VW history. I would suggest reading "Small World" in referance to VW, and the definative history of Porsche from the start is
"Excelance Was Expected" This is an expensive "coffee Table" book, but well worth it and I promise you that this book will shatter your perception of the Porsche family and their automotive design. Really a must-read for all Porsche enthusiast.
hope this helps and best wishes
Scott
Old 08-25-2009, 06:57 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

There were many coachbuilders using VW mechanicals in that period. This on looks like a Denzel roadster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denzel_%28automobile%29

Here is a good online history of some of the various builders.

http://www.flatfour.org/coach.html
Old 08-27-2009, 11:36 PM
BlackAddr
Advanced

Aron, I like the way the Red one looks. I think they looked pretty cool over all, but I started thinking about the price and at first I thought $3,000 was quite a bit of money for back then? So I went and did an inflation calculator and it was actually a pretty fair price.

If I had purchased the car in 1954 for $3,000, then in 2009 that same car would cost just a bit over $24,000 Which seems just about right for a VW in todays prices?

If anyone is interested in looking at the Calculater or maybe playing around with it here is the link.

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

Quick Reply: A pre 356 version from VW?