Notices

New old porsche owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 12:02 PM
dhansen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New old porsche owner

Hi All – After years of reading Excellence magazine and reading all of the great info here, I have finally purchased my first Porsche.

It’s a slate gray (not sure of actual Porsche color name) 1983 944 with tan seats and carpet and brown dash and trim. It has 73k on the odo and has been serviced at a private Porsche shop, which is also who I purchased it from, for the last 15 years. Here is a list of some notable recent maintenance items all performed within the last month.

-timing belt
-State inspection
-oil and filter change
-new shift ****
-new rear view mirror

It came with all maintenance records and the original window sticker and manual. The water pump was done in the not too distant past and the tires only have 1000 miles on them. It runs strong and the clutch feels good but I need to sift through the records to see exactly how old it is. All interior power bits work properly.

The bad:
-Although the paint is in fairly good shape, there are many rock chips on the front and there is a dent next to the right front light approx. 5 inches wide. I was quoted $1200 to have the dent fixed.
-the hydraulic arm for the hood is MIA
-The steering wheel leather has been removed so the wheel looks pretty horrible now. I need to figure out how to get some new leather back on there.
-the engine bay needs a good cleaning. Any recommendations on cleaners would be appreciated!

Hopefully I will be picking her up this Friday and I’ll give her an inside and out detail to start.

Thanks
d
Old 07-21-2009, 03:11 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Congratulations and welcome.

I would suggest stopping into the 944 forums, introducing yourself (it is customary to post a pic of your new car) and start doing a search and asking questions.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-968-forum-70/
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-and-944s2-forum-78/

As for engine detailing, I would search and post in the Detailing/Car Car/Concours forum:
https://rennlist.com/forums/concours-and-car-care-86/

For new OEM parts, I would recommend starting wtih Sunset Imports (parts at cost + 15%, very reputable, been around for years):
http://www.sunsetimports.com/parts.php?make=Porsche
Old 07-21-2009, 04:35 PM
dhansen
Instructor

Thanks for the helpful information. I'll head over to the 944 forums and get learning!
Old 07-22-2009, 05:34 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the Porsche family. You're in for years of excitement with your new ride. My recommendation is to join your local Porsche Club of America(PCA), there you'll find like minded individuals, who along with the forum will be your greatest resource. Enjoy your ride, post some pictures and have fun...
Old 07-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the MOMO Monte Carlo as steering wheels for 944s go. Nice feel and appearance. I like the older, stitched version.

Enjoy your ride.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:05 PM
dhansen
Instructor

Thanks for the great advice. I definitely plan on joining the PCCA soon. I have a ton to learn so I'm sure it will be really educational to talk to the folks there.

I'll check out the MOMO steering wheel that you recommended as well. I need to make a decision soon as it is just the raw plastic now and it is really slippery, especially without power steering!
Old 07-24-2009, 10:05 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Enjoy

Quick Reply: New old porsche owner