Notices

Female Technicians????

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 10:54 PM
PNWpirelli
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Female Technicians????

I want people's HONEST opinions and feedback on this...

How often do you see any? Does it matter to you if a woman works on your car? Does it bother you to have a woman as a co-worker? This ISN'T a trap... I just want to know the truth about what I'm getting myself into if I choose to go to UTI or another school and become a Technician. I'm not a feminist and don't expect ANYTHING to be handed to me. I'm just a pretty cool person; and I've always LOVED Porsches!!! Anything really WORTH having is worth working HARD for! So... Any opinions or advice from anyone on here? Positive or negative. I want to hear it all!!!
Old 07-05-2009, 11:23 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 198 Posts

Never ever saw one.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:07 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There was an article recently (I can't seem to find it) saying typically female technicians are a lot easier to deal with from a management standpoint, and it is one of the industries where they often make more money than males because of it. A lot of male technicians are crabby to deal with and buck the system. Women on the other hand go with the flow more and have a better attitude towards the job at hand. Knowledge is knowledge, it doesn't matter if you are male or female IMHO in regards to knowing how to do a job.

Good luck!
Old 07-13-2009, 08:39 PM
968rz
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know one; she went so far as to become an auto tech teacher at a local Collage. As for letting a woman work on my car, if she knows what she's doing I see no issue with it.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:08 PM
rcc55125
Intermediate

Look for articles by Jenny Morgan in the BMWCCA Roundel. She's been a BMW tech for over 25 years.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:24 PM
DDotson
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It wouldn't matter to me, as long at the tech knows what he/she is doing and isn't out to make money off of unnecessary work. I think that's what everyone is looking for in a good service department or independent technician.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:31 AM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE

I don't know about here in the states, but in Gemany I knew several women who were auto mechanics and they really knew their stuff. I would ask for them every time. Man or woman I could care less as long as I get good service. Word gets around about really good mechanics. Go for it if that is what you really want to do for a living. One thing tho is that you have to have thick skin in order to take all the ribbing you might receive from the men. If you can go with the flow and give back what you receive you will do all right.
Best of luck,
Larry
Old 07-23-2009, 03:26 AM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

There is a female Porsche tech at my dealer here in Germany. She is rather young as well.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:33 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There was a girl in one of my classes while going thru Porsche factory training. She seemed to know a great deal about the cars and have good experience. Very pleasant. I can't remember where she was from, Atlanta training center.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:56 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

She's not a mechanic, but she is a better driver than you!

The few times I've seen her, she seems like she would be a great teacher and driving coach. I'd have no problems learning from Sabine.

Back in my youth, I was a mechanic, and worked at several dealers. I only knew of 2 or 3 women working in the shop or parts counter. I never had a problem with it, but I know some of the other mechanics did (or they just made comments about it). If you know what your doing, then I see nothing wrong with you doing whatever it is that you do , man or woman.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:14 PM
sweet928
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have the right skills, it probably would be a slight advantage for getting the job. I don't see why it would be a negative in anyway.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:45 PM
new914owner
Track Day

some woman, like me, know more about cars than men....who cares who works on it
Old 09-06-2009, 04:47 AM
jtilden
Racer

First off, WELCOME TO THE BOARD...please take the time to introduce yourself when you get a chance...Having just retired from the military last year, I have had the opportunity to serve beside some of the most professional soldiers in the world, of which, some happened to be female. I was a maintenance officer in charge of various anti-tank and air defense missile systems. Whenever someone new came to the shop the first thing I asked was their rank. Gender mattered not. The reason I asked about the rank was to determine if they needed to be put with a "mentor" or if they could serve in a position of increased responsibility. The old adage "never judge a book by its cover" holds true in all we do, some of my BEST mechanics have been female soldiers. I am sure the shop foreman knows the abilities of all of their personnel and would not put somebody on the job regardless of their gender (business wise it would not make sense) if they were not confident in their ability to get the job done . So i see no point in letting gender be the deciding basis on whether or not you feel comfortable allowing someone to work on your car. Or helping you decide to do something you want to do. If you want to go to school and learn a trade you are passionate about GO FOR IT!
Old 09-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

If you have the aptitude, go for it, no question. Good technicians are hard to find.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:20 AM
ricster
Banned

I worked as a tech but never saw any women tech's in all the years at a dealership. I would have no issues with it.

Quick Reply: Female Technicians????