New Porsche owner concerned with comments about vandalism

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 02:51 PM
sflex2
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Porsche owner concerned with comments about vandalism

Hi all -

As a young boy, I dreamed of some day owning a Porsche. I have worked hard all my life. I started working in my teens and haven't stopped since. I've been working for the same company now for 18 years and hold a senior executive position. Last month I purchased my first Porsche and I feel like I've died and gone to heaven! It's everything I imagined and more.

I do however, need some advice, i.e. what are the do's and don't of being a "Porsche Owner" if any and what should I do to protect my car from vandalism or should I be concerned about vandalism? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

RPM
2005 Lexus SC 430
2004 GMC Sierra

Past
2006 Lexus IS 350
2003 MBZ SLK 320
2000 Lexus GS 400
1994 Lexus ES 300

Last edited by sflex2; 06-09-2009 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Adding Name and current car
Old 06-09-2009, 08:33 PM
BlackAddr
Advanced

This is interesting as it sounds alomost like I was writing it. I toobought my firsts Porsche about 4-6 weeks ago and I too was worried about vandalism, etc. However so far I haven't had any experience with that just yet, I have had for some unknown reason a number of people either flip me off or yell FU while I am driving by, I have also had people get in front of me on the highway and not let me switch lanes and pass them? One went so far as to when I finally caught up with him at the stop light he ran it and I followed and I rolled down my window and asked him why he would continue to cut me off and try to cause me to wreck? After his tirade about me driving like an ******* (Yes, he was in front of me so I have no idea where this came from?) He wanted me to stop that POS car and he wanted to fight me???? After a few seconds of this I drove away at a rapid speed because I thought this guy was just nuts?

Now, I will point out that I live in the Detoit area, I have only owned 1 American car my whole drivine career, and since I bought the Pcar, I haven't changed my driving style, with the exception of maybe driving slower as I don't have a radar detector and I see cops every where. At the time I also own a BMW and a Land Rover, I never have had an issue in either of these nor any other car. but for some reason people on the road seem to have an issue with Porsche?

My brother works for an American Car Company and I asked him if he had any idea that someone would do this and he just thinks people get jealous, or they just want to mess with me because they know I won't Ram them or what ever? But I will saw that thus far, it has been an interesting experience!

P.S. I love mine as well and it is also everything I dreamed it would be.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:58 AM
sflex2
3rd Gear

blackaddr - WOW, you've had some interesting experience while driving. Fortunately for me, it hasn't been that bad. In fact, all of my experiences have been positive. I get a lot of head spinning, smiles and even a few thumbs up. The younger generation love it! Now, I don't live in Detroit, so that might be the difference. Let's hope it has more to do with the economy and the nightmare with GM/Chrysler, etc. rather than jealousy, hatred for foreign cars, or for people who dream big and get what they want through hard work! Good luck out there!
RPM
Old 06-10-2009, 05:11 AM
MarekN
Racer

Vandalism is taken for granted until the first time it happens to your car, after that you are a ball of nerves whenever you leave it alone for more than a few minutes.
My best advice is to prevent it ever happening, because it leaves a very bad taste in your mouth for a long time. You never catch anybody doing it, but are left with a totally frustrating feeling.

So it´s either babysitting the car all the time, or accepting that it will happen someday, sooner or later, and preparing yourself for it and what you will do with the car to fix it and then try to forget about it asap.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:22 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Why worry about things you cannot help? Enjoy the car. Scratches can be fixed should they appear....
Old 06-10-2009, 08:47 PM
BlackAddr
Advanced

sflex2, thanks and I agree, I don't understand why anyone would be jealous of someone who has achieved their goals? To be honest I do not know why these types of things are happening?

I will leave it at this, about an hour ago I left the house to go to a Panera and grab a sandwhich, I go thru the drive thru and it is just me in the line. While I am waiting for my food, another person pulls up behind me, and I swear I am not making this up, but this guy is in a Dodge Ram with a push bar taps my rear end? First thing I do is jump out and check the damage, while I am jumping out I hear him say sorry. I get to the back of the car and he is still pressing into my bumper??? I asked him if he wouldn't mind backing up and he does with no issue. I checked my car and no problems. But I am thinking, if I had just bumped some in a nice car with my older model truck, I would have gotten out and checked too?

I do not know? Maybe I was brought up differently, but I just don't understand this kind of stuff? I am a reasonable guy, I normally don't fly off the hook and start screaming at people, I am a pretty laid back guy. But I was always taught to respect other peoples stuff, and treat people the way I want to be treated.

I honestly hate that this stuff is happening, not just because it is happening but because I am not of the victim mentally, I don't believe people are out to get me or anything like that. I am just at a loss because of this stuff.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:33 AM
sflex2
3rd Gear

blackaddr, I don't know if I would have been as reasonable, especially after he continued to bump you, so kudos to you for keeping your cool! You know what they say, "Bad things come in threes", maybe you're done for the year and only good things will happen, if not, you'll have to move to California

RPM
2005 Lexus SC 430
2004 GMC Sierra

Past
2006 Lexus IS 350
2003 MBZ SLK 320
2000 Lexus GS 400
1994 Lexus ES 300
Old 06-12-2009, 11:55 PM
RedRose
Racer

Drive a 944, nobody knows what the hell it is! They won't give you **** for being a Porsche owner because they always think it's either an RX7 or something much more expensive :P
Old 06-13-2009, 01:16 AM
BlackAddr
Advanced

Thanks sflex2. i appreciae your kind words, and I have to say I almost have to keep my cool because the while things seems so outragous? I just sat there and scratched my head in wonder?

Well, from now on it is just positive stuff and like you said some things come in 3's, so maybe I am done and it will be all good stuff! Otherwise I am heading back to Cali. I lived there before College, Del Mar.

Red Rose, The funny thing is, I looked around my car and there is only one main place where the car says "Porsche" and that is on the hood. (It also says it on the center part of the wheels.). So maybe a 944 might be the answer, or maybe a 928S?

Thanks for the input, and at this time I am just laughing about all this as if I sit there and become too afraid to drive my car, then I can't really see having it? So drive it I will!! LTR
Old 06-14-2009, 04:21 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Whenever I see a car - any car - that is parked so as to take up multiple parking spaces I think to myself "man, that guy/gal is asking to get vandalized." I would expect that the chances of getting vandalized are directly proportional to the value of the car times the number of spaces consumed by parking, divided by the distance from the parking spot to the door.

So, when I park one of mine, I park it in one and only one space and far away from the other cars.

Quick Reply: New Porsche owner concerned with comments about vandalism