Notices

Porsche Audio - kaput!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 06:51 AM
mach-hog
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Audio - kaput!

Hey fellow Porsche owners... we have a 987 series Boxster, 2005. Only 8400 miles.

The CD player on the audio systems still works, but I can't get the disc out, it won't eject all the way. It comes, tantalyzingly, in to the slot but I can't get it to come out far enough for actual removal.

I took the car in for inspection prior to warranty extension at the local Porsche dealer.

He wants about $900. for a new unit, they'll take the old one in of course and repair then recycle it back in to Porsche stocks...

I have asked:
1. For consideration from Porsche, due to the low mileage and light usage of the car, and the CD stuck inside is a proper store bought CD, it's not even a home made audio CD. I have asked the service guy to talk to his boss and see about a free replacement given the circumstances.
2. If no consideration offered, then I have asked that I only be charged the wholesale price for the replacement, given the circumstances.

If this doesn't work, it seems unfair to have to replace the whole unit, and it's costly and the 'system' kinda sucks...

So, thoughts folks please:

1. By one from a wrecker and have it shipped to me and get it installed?
2. Bite the bullet and pay the $$$ and forget about it?
3. Any other ideas, methods, suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks
mach-hog
Old 02-14-2009, 11:44 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Do you have CDR or PCM headunit?

Based on the price you were quoted, I'm assuming it's CDR, since the PCM is about $3000+

What warranty extention are you referring to at a Porsche dealer?
I would imagine if its a Porsche CPO warranty, then the headunit is covered (since the new CPO has much greater coverage than the previous CPO programme)

If it is a Porsche CPO, get a copy off the Porsche website, ask to speak with the PCNA local rep and explain the situation to him/her.

If you buy a new headunit, you will need the radio codes and also need to have it programmed/updated.
The cheapest place would likely be Jeff at Sunset Imports in Oregon (Porsche parts at cost + 15% folks), unless one of the dealers is having a special advertised in Panorama magazine.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:45 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Of course if you are referring to the CDC (CDChanger) under the bonnet and not the headunit, forget what I said above.
The CDC is quite simple to replace yourself.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:02 AM
mach-hog
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ltc

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. (Love your avatar as well).
The unit is a CDR-23. The warranty extension is the Porsche Warranty Extension, which can be purchased where we live for up to 9 years of vehicle life. We've had the vehicle since new. It was having this warranty renewed.

Under the old warranty, the CD unit was not covered. Under the new improved Porsche warranty extension the CDR-23 unit is covered by the warranty so they've asked me to wait two months and return the vehicle then and they will replace the whole thing under warranty... this is agreeable, in spite of the logistics pain in the rear.

Oddly enough it's working perfectly now, I just drove it home and checked it. The service advisor doesn't even know. I guess I'll approach this as ethically as I can and write him and let him know. If it fails again, perhaps he'll honour our verbal commitment. It's going to be a bit interesting.

Threadcreep... The dealer/workshop is not that close to where I live. They overbook like crazy and then just get around to your car when they feel like it. I took the car in on 24 January 2009 and just got it back today 21 Feb 2009. Other than brake fluid replacement and an oil change along with the warranty extension I had to wait for a tensioner clip for the convertible top as the old one was broken. It took more than a reasonable amount of time and this was an on-going problem from last year's warranty extension when they supposedly ordered the clips and they never came. When I asked last year if the top was usable without the clips and would there be any implications the service advisor categorically stated:No.

Unfortunately, and too late to prevent damage from our sprinkler system the roof leaked. The service advisor was incorrect. Because the car sits for long periods between drives it took a long time for me to notice what was going on. The water would leak in when the gardners where doing their thing while we were at work and be dry again on the inside of the windows by the time we got home. The water damage is worse on the right than on the left and the water ran down the door panel and also dripped from the roof/window contact area directly down and on to the door handle grips. The right one is badly blemished. I took this up with the service advisor, politely at first and they are intransigent. They did not offer any apology, they completely don't care. I took it politely to the Manager of After Sales Service and he just doesn't care. I asked for some help reconditioning the handles and they don't even want to talk about it. They charged me for the tensioner clips as well. I asked if they tested the roof for water tightness - no answer. The service advisor just looks at me like I am from Mars or something.

Now, all you folks reading this must be alerted to the fact that I live in the world's fastest growing city (hint: it's in the middle east) and this is a typical response from this part of the world. They just take your money and they don't care. They don't want to fix when they can replace and they don't care about inadvertent damage through an admittedly human mistake.

I bought this Porsche for my wife as a kind of special appreciation for her. (I drive a Lexus, it's a pretty good around town ride). I admit I love driving this little 'panty Porsche' as I affectionately chide my wife about her pretty little car. It's marvellously built and I would consider buying another one perhaps but not in this part of the world.

Last edited by mach-hog; 02-21-2009 at 10:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Porsche Audio - kaput!