Notices

Porsche N-specification tires explained in latest Excellence

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 07:26 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Porsche N-specification tires explained in latest Excellence

This is the first time I've read about the actual make-up of Porsche N-specification tires. Prior to this the only hint I found was that Porsche works with the tire companies to insure the tires made for Porsche meet their standards. This latest article in Excellence finally breaks it down and gets to the heart of the matter. It's so much more than I earlier imagined. And, there are big differences in say N-1 and N-4. The new 2009 cars are coming with N-4, which have different characteristics than say N-3 in order to work with new suspension configurations.

If you ever wanted to learn about tires and the N-rating, this is your chance
Old 02-06-2009, 07:54 AM
Alex (UK)
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't know you could buy any Porsche rated tyre beyond N1, I didn't think the tyre manufacturers had developed beyond that...
Old 02-06-2009, 07:59 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Oh sure, just go onto Tire Rack and look at PS2 - I think it lists N0, 1, 2, 3, and now 4. And based on the article, I'm not sure you can mix say N-4 if it was developed for a certain model / suspension with say N-1 if you have an older model. How about if your car came with N-1 and you need to replace fronts and get N-4? I'm going to have to look at my 2005 Boxster S to see what arrived recently for front tires. The rears were replaced a month ago and the fronts a week ago and I never checked which N-rating. Actually, there are more questions raised by the article, such as mixing and matching...

Hmm, on Tire Rack now and if you look at all PS2 say in 235, you can click to see what cars say the N-4 are standard on and it lists only 2009 vehicles. Try N-3 and you get cars all the way back to 2004. Per the article, the tire pressures on the new N-4 are lower - might be a whole new generation in tire technology (and they did mention the rubber compound it's made out of as being green).

So, my 2005 Boxster S should use N-3, while my 2009 C2S should use N-4. Interesting...
Old 02-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RonCT
This is the first time I've read about the actual make-up of Porsche N-specification tires. Prior to this the only hint I found was that Porsche works with the tire companies to insure the tires made for Porsche meet their standards. This latest article in Excellence finally breaks it down and gets to the heart of the matter. It's so much more than I earlier imagined. And, there are big differences in say N-1 and N-4. The new 2009 cars are coming with N-4, which have different characteristics than say N-3 in order to work with new suspension configurations.

If you ever wanted to learn about tires and the N-rating, this is your chance
There are also a lot of Rennlister's cars featured in this issue. Blakt-out and Sharkwerks cars on the cover and Porschemeister's (Jocken) 993 GT2 replica is also in there.

Great read!
Old 02-08-2009, 12:15 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

I've driven cars on press launches in Europe and there's a noticeable difference in grip, ride comfort and noise (all being superior) with the tires supplied in Europe.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:05 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2
I've driven cars on press launches in Europe and there's a noticeable difference in grip, ride comfort and noise (all being superior) with the tires supplied in Europe.
What do you mean? We all get the same tires in the US, Canada, Europe, etc. Michelin Pilot Sport 2 N-3 is the same here and there. The only difference I can remember in OEM tire differential is when they made the E46 M3 CSL, which came with PSCups stock (the real ones, not the Faux 19" version on the Porsche GT cars). But then gain, we didn't get the CLS...
Old 02-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Ron, Which Excellence edition this article is in? I have the APR09, but cant find it?

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2009, 08:09 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

I think it's the one about the new Cayman - talks about lower pressures for the new N-rated tire, some new compound material that's "greener", etc. Tire Rack also has some info and if you look at the 18" 235 tire, they have N1, 2, 3, and 4 available and if you pick the OE fitments for N4 you see it's for the 2009 Porsches.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:16 PM
breale01
Racer

Originally Posted by Carrera Mike
Ron, Which Excellence edition this article is in? I have the APR09, but cant find it?

Thanks!
Also not in the Feb 09. Flipped through every page.

Searched through the excellence-mag table-of-contents archives and nothing there either.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:23 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Read the whole post above - it goes through it all. April 09, article on the Cayman, discussion about new N-rated tire for the 2009, what it's made of, how it uses lower PSI, etc.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:09 PM
breale01
Racer

OK, thanks....I get it now, it's part of the Cayman article Apr 09 issue.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Porsche N-specification tires explained in latest Excellence